Cambridge Queen's Head Pub To Open in April

Pub will be open on Friday, Saturday nights this spring

By Madeline W. Lissner and Brittney L. Moraski, Crimson Staff Writerss

Cambridge Queen's Head—Harvard's undergraduate pub three years in the making—will finally open its doors in Loker Commons on Thursday, April 19, Dean of the College Benedict H. Gross '71 announced in an interview with The Crimson this afternoon. The College will also hold a special kick-off event for students the following evening.

Following its debut in mid-April, the pub is scheduled to be open through the remainder of the semester on Fridays and Saturdays from 5 p.m. to 2 a.m., according to pub director Scott C. Smider '01. The pub's spring programming will include events sponsored by the College as well as student groups.

Smider said he expects that beginning in the fall, the pub will be open from Wednesday evening thorough Sunday night.

The pub's anticipated start date had been postponed twice in the past year, due to the discovery of lead paint filaments in the construction area as well as an architectural redesign of the space.

"Because of all sorts of significant delays, we know this is opening late in the year," said Associate Dean of the College Judith H. Kidd. "We just can't dive into a full program [yet]."

The pub secured its liquor license yesterday, permitting it to debut its signature draft, 1636, when the venue opens in under two months.

The beer was created exclusively for the pub by alumni at Harpoon Brewery.

When the pub isn't open for service during the day, the Loker Commons area will remain available for students to eat lunch or work in, according to Kidd.

Gross said he looks forward to seeing students enjoy the pub. "I hope it has the feel, when you walk in, that it is already a part of the Harvard tradition," he said.

—Staff writer Madeline W. Lissner can be reached at mlissner@fas.harvard.edu.
—Staff writer Brittney L. Moraski can be reached at bmoraski@fas.harvard.edu.