Nestlé Is Not Capitalizing On AIDS Fear In Africa

By Gayle Crozier willi

To the editors:

We are writing in response to comments in an article “The Ethics of Boycotting” (oped, Feb. 6) In particular, we take issue with the statement: “Nestlé has capitalized on the fears of HIV/AIDS infected mothers in Africa, urging them to buy formula for their children, which often results in these children’s deaths because of missed nutrition from the lack of breastfeeding.”

This Statement is untrue. Nestlé fully supports the UNAIDS/UNICEF/WHO collaborative policy statement on HIV and Infant Feeding. This Statement, while protecting breastfeeding also recognizes that HIV can be transmitted by breastfeeding. The statement thus recognises that if infants born to HIV-positive women can be ensured uninterrupted access to nutritionally adequate, safely prepared breast-milk substitutes, they are at less risk of illness or death if they are not breast-fed. Accordingly, we sell formula at low prices to governments, for use in official programs for the prevention of transmission of HIV from mothers to babies, only at the request of such governments. Such transactions are subject to careful documentation. We also provide appropriate information to the implementers of the programs about the safe use of infant formula.

Nestlé South Africa has been asked by the South African health authorities to supply infant formula at reduced cost for their extremely important health program aimed at saving lives by preventing HIV transmission from mothers to babies. The health authorities have chosen NAN Pelargon, a biologically acidified formula that inhibits the growth of harmful bacteria in the prepared feed. The government buys the formula, following an official tendering process, at reduced prices and gives it to HIV-positive mothers who choose not to breastfeed their babies. We are pleased that the government has confidence in Nestlé and in our products.

Nestlé also fights HIV/AIDS as the founding corporate sponsor of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies’ Africa Health Initiative 2010. Our contribution focused initially on an educational project of young people in Nigeria seeking to prevent the transmission of HIV/AIDS. The educational materials have been jointly developed with the WHO. The program is successful: It has now expanded to 14 countries on three continents. The project also provided the seed for an African business coalition which has developed to spread it even further.

Nestlé does not advertise or promote infant formula products to mothers in developing countries. In fact, Nestlé employees who market infant formula have no direct contact at all with mothers in the developing world and no incentives are given to health workers for promoting Nestlé products. Nestlé’s marketing principles and practices comply with the laws of every country in which Nestlé does business, and Nestlé follows all countries’ implementation of the International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes developed by the World Health Organization in 1981. Notably, all Nestlé product labels state that breast milk is best for babies and preparation instructions are presented both graphically and in the relevant local languages.

Nestlé has set up a significant programme of ensuring compliance and monitoring with the Code. Corporate auditors check about 20 countries every year to verify Code compliance. This is also monitored through an extensive Code Quality Assurance System, and an ombudsman protects internal whistleblowers. Any Code violation, if verified, is submitted to top management for review and remedial action. Such cases are also submitted to the Audit Committee of the Board.

We are disappointed to read the comments published in the February 6 issue of The Harvard Crimson, since they are not only incorrect, but cast negative light on areas in which Nestlé has put much effort and made significant advance.

GAYLE CROZIER-WILLI
February 20, 2007
Vevey, Switzerland

The writer is a spokesperson for Nestlé SA.