Cash for Clubs

By Adam B. Johnston, Mike R. Ragalie, and Randall S. Sarafa

Almost every student at Harvard has his or her extracurricular activity: Some participate in cultural groups, others write for publications, and still others work within our many political organizations. All of these organizations are either funded—many of them amply—by centuries’ old endowments, by the $260,000 in student group grants that the Undergraduate Council provides each year, or by fundraisers such as dances and movie nights. And for the large percentage of students who compete on Harvard’s 41 varsity athletic teams, the Department of Athletics is the source of funding that provides teams’ practice equipment, coaching, and travel expenses.

But for the 900 students who have turned to club sports as their extracurricular activity, funding is largely lacking. The Department of Athletics currently budgets $10,000-$15,000 per year for the twenty-nine club sports—or about $400 per sport—which is an appallingly low number considering the costs that each team might face. From intercollegiate travel to coaching fees and equipment expenses, club sports, which, unlike many other organizations, are an inherently expensive endeavor, are left to fend for themselves with this paltry sum and their own fundraising devices. We believe that these organizations, which provide a much-needed structure for physical activity and community building, deserve greater funding from the University.

Although many areas of extracurricular life are currently underfunded, club sports find themselves in a particularly difficult situation since they are under the purview of the Department of Athletics, which has traditionally—and understandably—devoted its resources to varsity sports. Yet with the high costs of these teams, and the limited resources of the Undergraduate Council (UC) and small-scale fundraisers, club sports cannot depend on typical student group fundraising techniques, either. For example, the men’s rugby team’s proposed budget for their spring trip to nationals is $42,000, which though expensive, would be unquestionably covered if rugby were funded like a varsity sport. Yet given their value to the community, club sports certainly do not deserve the financial treatment that they currently receive.

What club sports offer the Harvard community is unique. Each team is student-run, from registering the team to recruiting members, finding coaches, and securing a budget. Club sports allow students to pursue interests in martial arts, boxing, and other sports that are either unavailable at a varsity level or do not require the immense time commitment of a varsity sport.

In order to survive, though, club sports have had to resort to drastic fundraising techniques to help pay their way through national tournaments and even standard intercollegiate play. Danielle J. Alexander ’09, a member of the women’s rugby team, said, “You have to get really creative sometimes and you feel really unsupported by the rest of the college community.” The women’s rugby team had to test this “creativity” last year by going door-to-door and asking students for their laundry change to pay for their trip to nationals.

These financial problems have far-reaching effects. Many teams that Harvard club sports compete against are recognized at the varsity level by other schools, which is the situation that the women’s equestrian club faces with many of its opponents, including three in the Ivy League. Club teams at Harvard are at a massive disadvantage when competing nationally against these varsity teams by having to make do with scant resources; some teams have even had to forfeit their spots in national competitions because of financial constraints.

But the more deleterious effect of these financial woes is the high barrier of entry they create for low-income students. To make up the difference between the tiny allocation from the Department of Athletics and the considerable costs of a club sport, most sports require members to pay sizable fees. For students on significant financial aid, $150 in club sport dues can be more than enough to keep students from participating. And for club sports like Men’s Ultimate Frisbee, where A-team members are expected to pay nearly $1,000 in travel costs, the barriers to low-income students are even greater. At an institution that prides itself on admitting students from a variety of backgrounds, it’s a shame that many students are unable to take part in an activity currently enjoyed by over 900 of their peers.

We strongly believe that Harvard College, the Department of Athletics, and the Financial Aid Office should offer funding to students on significant financial aid so as to allow them to participate fully in club sports. Other institutions have already taken a lead on this effort, with Stanford adopting a similar system that gives low-income students money to pay for equipment and membership dues. Given the commitment Harvard has already made to low-income students, with those whose families have incomes less than $60,000 responsible for no parental contribution, it seems illogical to perpetuate a system that keeps them from participating in competitive and communal athletics.

Improving the financial situation of club sports for both students and teams will be a great step forward in addressing an area of college life that is badly in need of repair. We believe that the College can best meet its commitment to all of the students on this campus by making sure anyone who wants to can succeed in a competitive club sport.

Adam B. Johnston ’07 is a biochemical sciences concentrator in Kirkland House. He is captain of the men’s ultimate frisbee team. Mike R. Ragalie ’09 is a government concentrator in Lowell House. Randall S. Sarafa ’09 is a social studies concentrator in Kirkland House. Both Ragalie and Sarafa are sponsors of UC legislation that provides funding to club sports.