New Mexican Eatery Sizzles in the Square

A representative of Qdoba Mexican Grill opens the doors for Harvard students at an exclusive complimentary sneak preview event Friday.
By Charles J. Wells, Contributing Writer

Hordes of students flocked to Qdoba, the Square’s newest Mexican eatery, for complementary burritos and nachos Friday night for what could be considered a pre-game in anticipation of the restaurant’s official Saturday morning debut.

But few actually attended the grand opening, raising the question of how the new kid on the block will fare amidst the neighborhood’s notoriously competitive economic environment.

Tom Brush, co-owner of Felipe’s Taqueria, an establishment which has made its home in the Square since 2004, said Qdoba’s opening just a few blocks down from his restaurant would have little long-term effect on his business.

“I really don’t think it will have too much of an impact...My concern is more that I really would like to see more independent types of business,” Brush said, referring to the increase of franchises—including the new International House of Pancakes (IHOP), currently in the process of petitioning for a 24-hour service licence—opening in the Square over the recent months.

According to Qdoba spokesman Scott Bernstein, the upcoming week will be filled with numerous events aimed at integrating Qdoba into the Square, including the distribution of free Charlie Cards and copies of the Boston Globe to customers.

Brush said that these marketing campaign plans did not worry him because Felipe’s “doesn’t need promos” and has always simply relied on word of mouth and low prices to keep it in business.

Qdoba is controlled by fast-food conglomerate Jack in the Box Inc., while Felipe’s is locally owned and operated—a fact that Brush says sets his eatery apart.

But the question of whether this difference matters to the restaurants’ core clientele—the average Harvard student—still remains.

“Maybe the fact that Qdoba takes away from the individuality of the Square is a legit concern, but I would rather eat delicious food than have an individual square,” said Aaron J. Mowery ’08.

Mowery, who said he “stalked” Qdoba during its construction, described eating at the restaurant as a “transcendent experience.” He added that he was not concerned about the eatery’s light business during its opening day, attributing it to Saturday’s St. Patrick’s Day nor’easter.

Bernstein said the restaurant will work to become a “partner in the neighborhood” by donating a portion of its earnings to the Cambridge Family and Children’s Service, a local non-profit which provides adoption, foster-care, and counseling services to needy families.

He added that the restaurant also plans to form a long-term relationship with Harvard athletics and will permit student groups to use its space for fund-raising events.