SOFTBALL '07: Around the Ivy League

Depleted Princeton, new division alignment, could equal favorable result for the Crimson

By Crimson Sports Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

Princeton may have won the last two league championships, but its star during those campaigns, two-time Pitcher of the Year Erin Snyder, has graduated, along with three of its four infielders. With the Tigers weaker, the door appears open for another team to come in and take the crown.

Harvard appears ready to step into that void. The Crimson not only has talented players at all positions but stands to benefit greatly from the new division alignment. It gets four games against Yale, Brown, and Dartmouth, three of the weaker teams in the league, while avoiding powerhouses Princeton and Cornell. That combination should earn Harvard a berth in the inaugural Ivy Championship, where, presumably, anything can happen.

BROWN

New coach DeeDee Enabenter-Omidiji takes over a team only two years removed from sharing the league title with Cornell. Getting back to that level this season will be a difficult task, as only four pitchers dot the roster, none of them with more than one year’s experience under their belts. The Bears also lose last year’s offensive star, shortstop Mary Seid.

COLUMBIA

If pitching wins championships, the Lions are in trouble. Of the four pitchers on the roster, three are freshmen. The fourth is sophomore Chantee Dempsey, who pitched in a grand total of four games. That kind of staff must have Cornell, Princeton, and Penn salivating. The offense did do well last year, posting a .273, good enough for third in the league.

CORNELL

Last year’s runner-up has given the Crimson loads of trouble in the past. Most recently, it swept Harvard in both team’s Ivy openers last season.The strength of the Big Red lies with its outfield of Jenna Campagnolo, Ashley Wolf, and Meghan Risica. Jenn Meunier and Hayley Mirrer lead a young but talented pitching staff that has several versatile freshmen.

DARTMOUTH

First team all-league outfielder Katie Chifcian is back to pace the offense, along with senior catcher Kelly Fry. Last year, the Big Green had its best season in five years, going 7-7 in league play and finishing in third place. The division title could come down to the four-game series at the end of the league season between Dartmouth and the Crimson.

HARVARD

Strong pitching staff, talented offense, solid defense—the pieces all appear there for the Crimson to make a run at its first league title since 2001. Lauren Brown is back to serve as the catalyst on offense, while Shelly Madick and Amanda Watkins lead an improved pitching staff. Freshman Lauren Murphy has supplied the power so far, with five home runs on the year.

PENN

Plenty of offensive talent can be found in Philadelphia this season, led by the double play duo of Christina Khosravi and second baseman Annie Kinsey. The Quakers have not had a winning season in 26 years, but that could change this year. Being in the division with Cornell and Princeton will hurt Penn, however, in its attempt to win the league title.

PRINCETON

The Tigers lose dominant starter Erin Snyder, the league’s pitcher of the year each of the previous two seasons,but plenty of talent still remains. Sophomore Kathyrn Welch is back to spark the offense for the two-time defending champions, along with senior designated player Cali Jo Varner. Anchoring the pitching staff this year is junior Kristin Schaus.

YALE

At least seven starters return from last season’s team, but that team went just 3-11 in league play. The Bulldogs are off to a 10-2 start this year, but before anyone gets too excited, it should be noted that this team started 9-1 a year ago and was 21-11 before getting run over by its Ivy competitors. Yale does return its top pitcher in Rebecca Wojciak and two talented hitters in Megan Enyeart and catcher Katie Edwards.

PreviewsSoftball