Eliot Residents Stumped, Stressed About Missing Netflix

There’s mischief afoot in Eliot House as students impatiently wait for their Netflix DVDs. A flurry of e-mails has recently
By Katherine M Tygielski

There’s mischief afoot in Eliot House as students impatiently wait for their Netflix DVDs. A flurry of e-mails has recently crossed the Eliot House open list, sent by distraught students seeking explanations for their missing movies. As time passes and odds of a legitimate mailroom mix-up dwindle, students are beginning to point fingers.

First-time Netflix user Kathleen A. Fedornak ’07 is anticipating the arrival of two films that are already more than a week late. Her roommate, in the middle of a thesis-writing cram session, was looking forward to a chick-flick study break. Fedornak is determined to get to the bottom of the issue. “I don’t want to pay $12.99 per month and not get anything!” She has a point.

In Eliot, undergraduates are hired to sort the mail, so it wouldn’t be difficult for students (especially from other houses?) to sneak off with the clearly labeled Netflix envelopes. “This could be the work of an anti-Eliot prank, because it’s pretty lame,” says Eliot resident Maya E. Frommer ’07.

Despite the odds, Eliot House Superintendent Francisco Medeiros has unwavering faith in his students. “I don’t believe the students take anything from the mailrooms,” he says. He suspects address confusion is the true culprit.

Since Eliot House is on Dunster Street, packages are sometimes accidentally delivered to Dunster House—in fact, one Eliot resident’s thousand-dollar wedding ring was once shipped to the wrong dormitory.

But what’s a thesis-writing, movie-craving student to do? The only option seems to be curling up with a DVD from Lamont’s extensive selection (want to watch “Ben-Hur” again?) until the perpetrator is caught, unless you’re willing to take action. “Whoever it is, I’ll hunt them down,” Fedornak vows. “I want my Dixie Chicks documentary!”