Oh, Ice Cream, Is There Nothing You Can't Do?

Eat ice cream, make babies: That was FM’s conclusion after reading a study published Feb. 28 by Harvard researcher Jorge
By Jeremy D. Hoon

Eat ice cream, make babies: That was FM’s conclusion after reading a study published Feb. 28 by Harvard researcher Jorge E. Chavarro and colleagues which claimed that women who ate one or more servings of high-fat dairy foods were less likely to experience problems with ovulation. Armed with this information, we set out to find the tastiest ways to get knocked up in Harvard Square.

“This makes me feel better about myself, because the scoops are huge,” says Lizzy’s employee Anna E. Bendroth. For wannabe moms, Bendroth recommends Lizzy’s Chocolate Orgy ice cream, sure to satisfy every carnal desire.

Herrell’s employee Sam D. Kensley says that no single Herrell’s flavor contained more fertility-boosting fat than any other. “Any of the flavors here have the same fat content,” he says. “We use the same base.” Baby-crazy females set on getting their fertility fix from Herrell’s can try for a placebo effect with Heath bar or “cookie bar” flavors.

A group of Wellesley students at Herrell’s, digging deep into their stores of womanly knowledge, recommends a well-known brand of ice cream from outside the Square. “Ben and Jerry’s Chocolate Fudge Brownie,” says Hana S. Freymiller. Her classmate, Lindsey N. Fix, has a more creative suggestion. “Ben and Jerry’s Fossil Fuel: for small, amphibious babies,” she says. Hopefully, this refers to the chocolate dinosaurs in the ice cream and not some sick Wellesley fish-baby mutation.

It seems that Harvard women are of a similar mind. “I would probably go to CVS and get a pint of Ben and Jerry’s Half-Baked,” says Millicent M. Younger ’10. And then? “I would probably watch ‘Dazed and Confused.’” The Harvard study did not comment on the effects of marijuana-themed ice cream on pregnancy.