SPORTS BRIEF: Chu Locks Up Ivy POY, Headlines Crimson Award Winners

A slew of Harvard athletes received postseason recognition from the Ivy League yesterday, as members of the wome’s hockey, women’s basketball, and men’s basketball teams all captured awards.

Just two days after being named one of three finalists for the Patty Kazmaier Award, given each year to the nation’s top women’s hockey player, senior forward Julie Chu was named co-Ivy League Player of the Year. Chu will share the honor with Dartmouth forward Gillian Apps. Junior defenseman Caitlin Cahow joins Chu as a unanimous selection to the Ivy League first team, while sophomores Sarah Vaillancourt and Brittany Martin were named to the second team.

The women’s hockey team is currently ranked sixth in the national polls and opens NCAA Tournament this weekend against top-ranked Wisconsin.

Three members of the women’s basketball team garnered Ivy nods, as sophomore guard Emily Tay was named to the first team and junior guard Lindsay Hallion to the second team. Sophomore guard Niki Finelli received an Honorable Mention award. Tay, Hallion and Finelli ended the season as the team’s three leading scorers. The league champion Crimson will play its first-round NCAA Tournament game March 17 or 18.

Senior guard Jim Goffredo and sophomore guard Drew Housman both received Honorable Mention awards from the League. Goffredo led the team and finished fifth in the Ancient Eight with 15.4 points per game, while Housman’s 13.2 points per game were good for tenth in the league. Last week, ESPN the Magazine named Goffredo to its Academic All-America second team.

—THE CRIMSON STAFF

Women's Ice Hockey