SPOTLIGHT: Kristen M. Jones '08

By Ruben L. Davis, Contributing Writer

Kristen M. Jones ’08 is the director of “Fabulation,” a BlackCAST production beginning its run at the Loeb Experimental Theatre this week. While the show is her directorial debut, the Eliot House philosophy concentrator is all but a stranger to the performing arts.

I was really involved in theatre in high school, and, here at Harvard, in the Freshman Musical. I haven’t been able to be as involved in college though as I have been in the past. I had to quit the Callbacks in order to do this.

Departure from that a capella singing group was difficult for Jones, considering the extent of her dedication. Though she was excited at the opportunity to direct “Fabulation,” she says that her decision to leave the group was not an obvious or easy one to make.

Was it hard to leave? Well, yes and no [laugh]. I think I made the right decision. We’re doing something new with this one. The most recent BlackCAST shows have been really heavy, dramatic. They’ve all been very good, but dealt with suicide and rape—stereotypes of the black community. We wanted to do this show because it’s very clearly a comedy. We want people to come out, laugh, and enjoy a good time.

“Fabulation” is the story of Undine, a wealthy black business owner who, by a series of circumstances, discovers that she has lost her fortune. And of course, hilarity ensues.

She has to move back to the projects where she grew up, and all this crazy stuff happens. She gets on welfare, and has to go through everything at the office. She finds out her grandmother’s on heroin—another huge deal. It’s all ridiculous, but it’s a comedy.

BlackCAST’s presence in the Harvard theater community, of course, goes beyond just this production. The organization has been steadily dedicated to producing stage shows written by black playwrights, starring black student actors.

I think a lot of us at Harvard can relate [to the show], because Undine, the main character, is an Ivy Leaguer. She gets so absorbed with material wealth that she loses a lot of what makes her who she is. As a director, I tried to draw that quality out.

While many theater directors are notorious for being entrenched in their own ideas for their plays, Jones says her previous experiences with directing have led her to adopt a less orthodox style.

I’d be giving stage directions in the first couple of weeks, and they’d say, “Maybe it’d be funnier if I did this.” In high school, I never really got to engage on that level with a director, and I wanted that for them.

This open-mindedness has led to the close connection between Jones and her actors. This bond, she says, has made for more layered and compelling performances.

I told the actors, “This is my first time, and I’m looking for your input. Yes, I’m the director, but I know you’re all intelligent people, and I want to know what you’re thinking.”

Jones says that the relationships she came to form with her actors not only aided in making “Fabulation” a play she’s proud to have directed, but also in finding her stride in the position a more fluid process.

The girl playing Undine is a phenomenal actress. I had such a good time watching her develop, and I think she inspired everyone to step up their game. Anyone who comes to the show is going to be impressed by the whole cast. The characters are ridiculous, and it’s fun to see what people bring to them.

Nearing her debut, Jones describes her work on the play as an intense, rewarding experience—one she’s certain will be just as rewarding for the audience.

Why should you come to the play? First, it’s hilarious. No joke, there isn’t a funnier show going up at Harvard this semester. Number two, it’s free, so you don’t have an excuse for being broke. Third, the actors are phenomenal. They’re all playing multiple roles, four or five characters. It will blow your world how they play them, what they bring. There’s really not a better way to spend your Friday night.

The trial by fire nature of a first-time directorship has certainly tested Jones’ stamina. Tired though she may be, thoughts of the future are already on mind.

I certainly hope I’ll keep up directing. I’ll keep applying to be a director next year. I’ve just learned so, so much. The learning curve for these things. You just get thrown in and have to do it. I had such a good time, and I think I’ve done a pretty good job. I guess we’ll find out [this] weekend.