I Want Something Else

Don’t lie: some of you are amped for Yardfest. You can’t wait to relive your days of Stephan Jenkins admiration
By Jessica L. Fleischer

Don’t lie: some of you are amped for Yardfest. You can’t wait to relive your days of Stephan Jenkins admiration and rocking out in your rooms to “Semi-Charmed Life.” But for the rest of you, maybe it’s time for a road-trip:

If you’re pissed because your inner- indie snob is offended, head over to Brown. Performers there include The Roots, The Flaming Lips, Mission of Burma and Yo La Tengo.

“A band that less people have heard, but that the people who do know are really excited about, is extremely important,” says Joe R. Posner, who runs the Brown Concert Agency, adding “That said, at Brown, I’m pretty sure everyone knows who The Flaming Lips and The Roots are.”

But, ever the diplomat, Posner says of Third Eye Blind: “I know everybody liked those songs when I was in 6th grade.”

Indeed, for 3EB, 6th grade was a good year. “The only negative reaction I’ve heard is that they are a band that hasn’t had a hit in a long time, since our middle school days,” admits S. Adam Goldenberg ’08, Chair of the College Events Board. But beauty is in the eyes of the pop-loving beholder: “To be honest I think that’s an example of why Third Eye Blind is such a good choice,” says Goldenberg.

And if you’re pissed because one band just isn’t enough for you, and you’re nostalgic for Yardfest 2006, you should’ve checked out Penn’s Spring Fling—their massive extravaganza boasted both Third Eye Blind and Ben Folds.

“I think it was sort of a throwback to everyone’s junior high school and high school days,” says Matt B. Mizrahi, the co-director of the Penn Concert Planning Committee.

But if you’re just one of the 7,000 expected to show up at this year’s Yardfest, don’t be too upset: as Goldenberg says, “No one else gets to have their concert in Harvard Yard.”

Plus if that doesn’t convince you, maybe this will: Tire. Swings. Nostalgia?