Weissbourd Leads Lavietes Sweep

Sophomore middle hitter earns Hay Division Player

Sophomore middle hitter Brady Weissbourd tallied 19 kills against Vassar and added 18 against Ramapo, leading Harvard to two wins.
By Kara T. Kelley, Contributing Writer

Harvard men’s volleyball went two-for-two over spring break, defeating Vassar and Ramapo during the first few days of vacation.

Both non-conference contests took the Crimson a full five games before Harvard could claim victory.

After a recent move from the Malkin Athletic Center to Lavietes Pavillion, the Crimson remains undefeated in the new arena, winning its last three home matches.

The switch did not faze sophomore middle hitter Brady Weissbourd, who earned his second Hay Division Player of the Week nod this season. Weissbourd is fifth in the EIVA in blocks per game (1.24) and stands seventh in hitting percentage (.424).

Another key player in Harvard’s two victories was sophomore Jeff Nathan, as he tallied 22 digs between the two matches. After junior Brian Rapp was unable to play as a result of his ACL injury, Nathan stepped in at libero.

“Jeff Nathan was outstanding,” co-captain Dave Fitz said. “He was digging everything and his passes were nails.”

As the Crimson approached its last regular season game against Steven Tech on April 7, the three seniors prepared to leave the team to the underclassmen.

“I don’t want to leave, but I’m happy—we’re ready to pass the torch.” Fitz said, “I love volleyball, and I wish I could play for another four years, but I realize that it’s not my time anymore. The juniors, sophomores, and freshmen—it’s their team now.”

HARVARD 3, RAMAPO 2

In a close match, Harvard’s 10-man roster pulled ahead of Ramapo’s squad of 18, as the Crimson (11-5) defeated the Roadrunners (21-12) 3-2 (26-30, 30-21, 30-28, 36-38, 15-6) on Saturday.

Harvard took the first five points of the final game off Ramapo errors and Crimson attacks. The game saw a total of five Harvard aces—three by senior Andy Nelson and one each by Fitz and freshman Gil Weintraub.

The Roadrunners challenged the Crimson point for point in game four, knotting the score at every chance. Ramapo won two consecutive points to take the game at 38-36, evening out the score at 2.

Harvard won the second and third games with a strong offensive performance.

Between the two games, the Crimson smashed 10 more kills than the Roadrunners, 35-25. In game three, Ramapo hit .188 while the Crimson averaged .417, a match high.

Despite the close tallies in the first game, Harvard fell short to Ramapo, 30-26. The Crimson hit .406, recording 17 kills while the Roadrunners squeezed ahead with a .407 average and 16 kills.

Weissbourd slammed 18 kills and hit an impressive .514, the highest percentage between both teams. Junior Jordan Weitzen also hit well for Harvard, averaging .404 with 28 kills.

HARVARD 3, VASSAR 2

The Crimson came out on top in its Friday night match against the Brewers (8-14) after five back-and-forth matches, winning 3-2 (30-32, 30-25, 22-30, 30-22, 15-12).

Weissbourd led Harvard in kills, knocking down 19 on .500 hitting.

For the final game, the Crimson out-hit the Brewers .500 to .176, claiming the deciding game in a 15-12 win.

After games three and four, Harvard and Vassar remained tied at two as the teams exchanged wins, both with scores of 30-22.

The Brewers took the first game, but the Crimson battled back in the second with an 8-0 run to win it, 30-25.

Although Harvard came out with a win, coach Christopher Ridolfi said he believed the team could have played more consistently.

“We know that we always end up on the court longer than we probably should against Vassar—every single time that we play them,” Ridolfi said. “We have a hard time adjusting to them, but we’re lucky to get away with what we got away with.”

HARVARD 3, RAMAPO 2

HARVARD 3, VASSAR 2

Men's Volleyball