Dntel

"Dumb Luck" (Sub Pop) - 3 stars

By Eric M. Sefton, Contributing Writer

Six years after his last release, Jimmy Tamborello (aka Dntel) is back with a new presentation of its eclectic and collaborative style. Tamborello, also known as one half of “The Postal Service,” only includes one solo track on his new disc, choosing to work with other indie and electronica artists on the remaining eight songs. Although the album sounds at times as though its disparate elements have been thrown together by chance, it maintains a consistent musical identity permeated with complex sounds and unusual beats.

Tamborello released his last solo effort, “Life Is Full of Possibilities,” in 2001, and received rave reviews. Critics praised Tamborello’s honest dedication to collaboration and his ability to work with fellow artists to create new sounds in the studio. The style of blending seemingly clashing tones that earned Tamborello staunch defenders in 2001 remains dominant on “Dumb Luck,” and once again proves to be the shining facet of the album.

Like a car that hasn’t been driven in a while, “Dumb Luck” literally shudders to a start, but soon begins to purr and take its audience for a joyride through Dntel’s electronic soundscape. Haunting and disjointed, Tamborello’s solo effort—and the title track—leads off, setting the general tone for the rest of the album. His lyrics strike a pessimistic and rather morose tone, reflecting on the apparent lack of control that we hold over our own lives. Mixing shuddering atonality with soft strains of guitar and understated vocals, Tamborello emphasizes his control over even the most minute qualities of the track.

On other tracks, Tamborelllo rolls out the red carpet for guests. “Roll On” features the song-writing ability and soft vocals of Rilo Kiley’s Jenny Lewis. On that track, Tamborello picks up the pace and demonstrates that he can toe a more conventional line without sacrificing originality and inventiveness. Lewis’ ballad lies alongside Tamborello’s electronic manipulations and offers a prime example of how contrast brings out the best in both components.

At the other end of the spectrum is “To a Fault,” which features indie darlings Grizzly Bear. While the track acquires intensity from Tamborello’s customarily rich compilation of sounds, “To a Fault” challenges the listener with the chirps of birds and a constantly changing tempo. Tamborello allows long musical interludes to dominate the track, relegating Grizzly Bear’s lyrics to the background.

“Dumb Luck” is another example of Tamborello’s talent for mixing seemingly incompatible sounds to tickle the ears of his listeners. The long periods of synthesized sound that dominate the majority of the album are sources of fascination as organic and electronic tones clash. “Dumb Luck” is musical experimentation in action, but there’s science behind the chaos. The result is a tantalizing product of Tamborello’s off-kilter ear, not mere luck of the draw.