Schools To Assess Security

By Charles J. Wells, Contributing Writer

Last night the Cambridge Public Schools (CPS) Committee unanimously approved a motion to contract a security consulting firm to assess and improve the quality of CPS’ current security provisions.

The chosen firm, Pennsylvania-based Standing Stone Consulting, Inc., consists of five staff members, one of whom is a specialist in anti-terrorism and weapons of mass destruction.

Although the initiative was eventually unanimously accepted, passage occurred only after the committee had first addressed the concern that Standing Stone’s security program could potentially create a “prison-like” atmosphere in district schools.

Committee member Nancy Walser, however, reminded those present that Standing Stone’s services should be considered merely preventative and not a response to any catastrophe, which would require more dire measures. She noted that surveys have shown that CPS students overwhelmingly feel safe in their academic environments—especially at Cambridge Rindge and Latin High School, which is located just blocks from Harvard.

And James Hyslop, Standing Stone’s president, said that although the firm has no experience advising schools in New England, the team will stress pre-established community standards when providing recommendations.

“It’s just like buying a shoe,” Hyslop said of implementing security measures, “you can get the right size but there are so many different styles.”

CPS Superintendent Thomas Fowler-Finn said Standing Stone will present a “menu of security options” to the committee and that the committee will be able to choose those options which fit area schools best.

Committee member Joseph G. Grassi emphasized that current security practices might not be as effective as teachers and administrators think they are.

“If our [security] culture is lax, we’re looking to make it more secure,” he said.

A spokesman from Standing Stone said the firm will complete its inspection of the majority of CPS facilities by the end of the school year.