Chao Speaks to Campus Asian Groups

By David K. Hausman, Contributing Writer

U.S. Secretary of Labor Elaine L. Chao told students yesterday that Asian Americans should not exaggerate the effect of discrimination on their career prospects.

At a meeting with leaders of Asian Pacific American student groups at the Charles Hotel, the Harvard Business School alum invoked her own biography while urging Asian Americans to embrace their cultural identity and its emphasis on achievement.

“I never felt that I was at any particular disadvantage,” Chao said.

President Bush appointed Chao labor secretary in 2001, making her the first Asian-American woman to serve in a President’s cabinet.

In a brief question-and-answer session, Chao said repeatedly that students should be confident and not dwell on discrimination.

“So many young people seem to think that the world is stacked against them,” Cho said. “I think that’s so negative.”

She added that Asian Americans often benefit from strong family support.

“I know that your parents must have sacrificed and suffered a great deal to get you where you are today,” she said.

Joyce Y. Zhang ’09, vice-president of the Harvard-Radcliffe Chinese Students Association and a Crimson news editor, asked Chao what obstacles she had faced as a result of her double minority status.

“I have to confess to you, I hate that question,” Chao responded.

Although she acknowledged that injustice sometimes exists in the workplace, Chao asked students not to overstate its impact.

“You will find doors opening at every turn,” she said.

“There’s nothing special about me,” she added. “That’s the great thing about America. You can be where I am.”

Chao emphasized that Asian Americans play an increasingly important role in politics.

According to Chao, Asian American politicians could help improve U.S. relations with China.

“The Chinese don’t understand us, and we don’t understand them,” she said. “We can contribute a lot to bridging that cultural gap.”

Co-president of the Harvard-Radcliffe Asian American Association, Ren J. Zhao ’08, said he enjoyed the meeting.

“Secretary Chao is a huge figure in the Asian American community,” Zhao said. “It was a huge honor to see her in person.”

Chao spoke to students after a luncheon meeting of the Senior Advisory Committee to the Institute of Politics. She serves on that committee alongside Senators Edward M. Kennedy ’54-’56 (D-Mass) and Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.) and other political notables.