Schor Demonstrated True Ignorance Himself

By Taufiq Z. Rahim

To the editors:

The recent oped by Michael Schor (“Ignorance on Israel,” May 14) demonstrated true ignorance, and an unwillingness to analyze issues objectively. His willingness to pejoratively castigate academics (see Stephen Walt) who disagree with his point of view demonstrates a naiveté in intellectual argument. There are many legitimate reasons to disagree with the policies of the Israeli government, despite claims of it being an ally of “democracy.” The state of Israel is democratic insofar its Jewish citizenry.

There are four million Palestinians living under Israeli occupation, who do not have freedom; furthermore, twenty percent of Israel’s internal population–the Arabs–is heavily discriminated against, a fact well-documented by numerous Israeli NGOs. Its actions in Lebanon which displaced a third of the population and killed 1200 Lebanese civilians drew censure from all corners. To descend from his own ivory tower, Schor needs to understand that people are able to condemn the human rights abuses of both the Iranian regime, and the Israeli government. No state should be immune to legitimate criticism–including Israel.

TAUFIQ Z. RAHIM

Cambridge, Mass.

May 15, 2007

The writer is an MPP candidate at the Kennedy School of Government.