Knowles’ Condition ‘Stable’

Former FAS Dean ‘no longer in critical condition’ in his battle with prostate cancer

By Samuel P. Jacobs, Crimson Staff Writer

Since stepping down as Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) one month ago after a setback in his battle with prostate cancer, Jeremy R. Knowles’ condition has stabilized, according to his wife.

He entered Massachusetts General Hospital in late April, suffering from pneumonia and sepsis.

“Jeremy is no longer in critical condition, but is stable and doing well and hopes soon to be out of the Intensive Care Unit,” Knowles’s wife, Jane S. Knowles, said in a statement this week.

Former University President Neil L. Rudenstine—the man who first appointed Knowles dean in 1991—has been regularly checking in on Knowles and expressed similar optimism.

“Obviously, it’s wonderful and slightly miraculous that he’s come this far,” Rudenstine said in a phone interview yesterday. “And we’ll just keep hoping that he’ll continue to improve.”

Knowles informed colleagues of his condition in a letter sent on April 17.

“A few years ago,” Knowles wrote, “I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, but—with superb medical care—this didn’t really affect my decanal routine. The past several weeks have become a bit more complicated, however, and today I’ve begun a rather more aggressive treatment.”

At the time, Knowles said he would work from home, and Interim University President Derek C. Bok told his colleagues at a Faculty meeting that day that Knowles would return “within a few days.”

“As Christopher Robin put on his door for Winnie-the-Pooh to read,” Knowles wrote to professors, ‘Bak Sun!’”

But only five days later, Knowles’ condition worsened, forcing Bok to ask David R. Pilbeam—then the senior adviser to the Dean of the College—to step in as FAS dean.

“It’s been a long journey and an encouraging one,” Rudenstine said of Knowles’ health. “With a little more time, we might really be turning the corner.”

Knowles’ absence at this spring’s many Faculty meetings and within University Hall has been a jarring one.

“The outpouring of concern from the Harvard community has been wonderfully sustaining for Jeremy and all the family,” Jane Knowles said in her statement. “No one could ask for more caring colleagues, friends, and students.”

Like his peer in Mass. Hall, the British chemist’s return to leadership this year helped to restore calm to a university still recovering from the tumult of the tenure of former University President Lawrence H. Summers. Knowles previously served as FAS dean from 1991 to 2002.

Pilbeam paid tribute to his predecessor at last week’s final Faculty meeting.

“This would have been Jeremy’s last regular Faculty meeting. Despite his illness, despite having previously served as our curator, Jeremy willingly agreed to return because our faculty needed him,” Pilbeam said.

With Pilbeam planning to serve as dean until June 30, the Faculty is still without a permanent successor to Knowles, who was appointed exactly one year ago.

—Javier C. Hernandez contributed to the reporting of this story. —Staff writer Samuel P. Jacobs can be reached at jacobs@fas.harvard.edu.