Man Shot in Square Altercation

Cambridge resident wounded during fight outside Charlie's Kitchen

Charlie's Kitchen, a popular late-night hang out spot in Harvard Square, was quiet a few days after a shooting occured in front of the restaurant at the beginning of the week.
By Malcom A. Glenn, Crimson Staff Writer

A 21-year-old Cambridge resident was shot while trying to break up an altercation outside the popular Harvard Square restaurant Charlie's Kitchen Sunday night, according to a report Monday in the Cambridge Chronicle.

The man, whose name has not been released, told police that he saw two men fighting on the sidewalk outside the restaurant late Sunday night. He attempted to break up the fight and suffered a shot to the forearm by one of the men, according to the report.

A man fitting the shooter's description was arrested near midnight at the intersection of JFK Street and Memorial Drive and charged with possession of a dangerous weapon and marijuana possession. The man, identified as Jonathan L. Netz, was not in possession of a gun upon arrest, the Chronicle reported.

One of the men involved in the scuffle, a 27-year old East Boston resident, told police that he recognized the shooter as a man who had pulled a gun on him during a past incident. After the suspect allegedly brandished a black .9mm handgun, an attempt was made to wrestle the gun away from him by the man who approached him.

Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) spokesman Steven G. Catalano made it clear that although the incident occurred in Harvard Square, none of the three men were associated with the University. He wrote in an e-mail that HUPD was "not involved in this incident."

"We are aware of it," Catalano wrote. "It did not involve any Harvard affiliated persons."

The Cambridge Police Department did not respond to requests for comment. The status of both the victim and the suspect is unknown.

Charlie's Kitchen, which is located on 10 Eliot Street, is a popular hang-out spot frequented by students and professors alike. The more than 60-year old late-night eatery, famous for its non-commercial feel and long-standing menu items, is no stranger to dramatic events happening in front of its location.

In December 2000, then-junior Shira Palmer-Sherman '02 was fatally injured after she was struck by a car in front of Charlie's Kitchen.

Criticized for its lack of pedestrian safety in the aftermath of Palmer-Sherman's death, the restaurant has since led a relatively low-key existence until the recent incident.

—Noah S. Bloom contributed to the reporting of this story.
—Staff writer Malcom A. Glenn can be reached at mglenn@fas.harvard.edu.