Field Hockey Starts Ivy League Slate With Victory

Harvard downs Penn to open league season with win

By Kara T. Kelley, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard field hockey team started its Ivy League schedule the right way, defeating Penn, 3-1, at Jordan Field for its second straight victory. The Quakers (0-4, 0-1 Ivy), meanwhile, suffered their fourth consecutive defeat.

“We always get pretty psyched up for [Ivy League games], and it’s a great feeling to start 1-0 in the Ivy League,” co-captain Devon Shapiro said.

The high temperature and bright sun took a small toll on the Crimson’s (2-1, 1-0 Ivy) energy, but not its offense.

“It was definitely a struggle because of the heat, and both teams were feeling a little bit tired at times,” co-captain Jana Berglund said. “But it was a good matchup, and we were able to move the ball well.”

Capitalizing on assists and deflections, the Crimson claimed the first three goals of the game. Junior forward Kayla Romanelli got the ball rolling, scoring more than midway through the first half.

Harvard’s other two goals were knocked in by junior forward Tami Jafar, who tallied her first two goals of the season and took five of the Crimson’s 10 shots on goal.

Jafar’s first goal was off a penalty corner, assisted by junior back Francine Polet with just over three minutes before the half.

After the break, the Crimson’s lead was quickly extended to 3-0 as Jafar scored again in the first six minutes.

Freshman back Maggie McVeigh registered her second and third assists of the season, aiding both Jafar and Romanelli.

Busy moving the ball, Harvard outshot Penn 15-6, with the Quakers managing only two bids in the second half.

Junior goalkeeper Kylie Stone denied every shot of the first half, earning four saves on the match. Penn was able to push one past with 10 minutes to go, but its comeback attempt ended there.

While the Crimson finished with a decisive victory, the competition was high in the opening battle between Ivies.

“With the Ivy League, it’s always a good match-up,” Berglund said. “It’s always a 50-50 game no matter what.”

This Friday night, Harvard will compete outside the league, traveling to Worcester, Mass., to face Holy Cross.

—Staff writer Kara T. Kelley can be reached at kkelley@fas.harvard.edu.

Field Hockey