Council President to Leave Quincy

By Christian B. Flow, Crimson Staff Writer

In a move that initially drew concern from his chief subordinate, Undergraduate Council President Ryan A. Petersen ’08 will be living off campus in a Story Street apartment less than half a mile from the Yard.

The UC leader and former Quincy House resident, who stayed in the apartment while doing coursework and attending to UC business this summer, cited a desire to live with two of his best friends as the reason for making the switch.

In an interview yesterday, he said that he did not believe the move would affect his work with the student government, and that he in no way felt he was distancing himself from the campus residents who elected him last fall.

“I was aware that it was an atypical living situation for a UC president, that houses are and will always be an integral part of the Harvard experience for most undergraduates,” Petersen said. “But ultimately I felt...that I can and will continue to commit myself to the UC and the undergraduate community, and that I can do all those things while having a life off campus.”

UC Representative Matthew R. Greenfield ’08 said yesterday that he was sure Petersen would remain involved on campus, but that he believed the council’s president will need to “make a special effort” to stay in touch with the residential scene.

“So much of our campus life revolves around dining halls and Stein Clubs and midnight fire alarms and House formals, and being a part of that is an important part of representing students,” Greenfield said.

He added that Petersen’s decision to live off campus could make the job of UC Vice President Matthew L. Sundquist ’09 more significant, especially in terms of residential life issues and House Committee support.

Petersen said yesterday that Sundquist originally shared some of Greenfield’s concerns.

“We talked about it,” he said. “Matt was concerned about being part of the House community, but he recognized that I should make the decision that was best for me.”

Sundquist could not be reached for comment last night.

—Staff writer Christian B. Flow can be reached at cflow@fas.harvard.edu.