Field Hockey Offense Drives Squad to 2-0 Ivy Record

Crimson defense denies Bears in second half as Jafar, both co-captains score

Co-captain Jana Berglund, shown here in earlier action, tallied a goal and an assist in Saturday’s match against Brown. With the four-goal outburst, the Harvard offense has scored almost as many times as it did all of last season despite having played jus
By Paul T. Hedrick, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard field hockey team rebounded from its Wednesday night loss with a resounding victory over Brown on Saturday afternoon at Jordan Field.

The Crimson’s home win streak was kept alive as three different Harvard players scored in the first period. With a 4-1 final score, the Crimson (5-2, 2-0 Ivy League) netted the most goals the team has recorded since 2004, and the Bears (0-7, 0-2) suffered their seventh straight loss.

Even though Harvard already held a 3-1 lead at halftime, it was in the second period that the squad dominated the field offensively. While only one goal was scored in the second half, the Crimson held an emphatic shot advantage of 11-1.

“Brown came out very hard,” co-captain Jana Berglund said. “It was good that we were able to put some goals in early and keep the momentum throughout the game.”

Co-captain Devon Shapiro netted the first goal for the Crimson off a penalty corner 11 minutes into the game.

The Bears responded with an unassisted goal from the top of the circle, and until the 22:57 mark, the game was in no one’s favor.

It was Berglund’s goal at that moment that sealed the game for Harvard.

The assist on the co-captain’s score from freshman back Maggie McVeigh was her fifth of the season, a Crimson team high.

Junior forwards Kayla Romanelli and Tami Jafar executed the final goal of the first period. Romanelli beat the defense and passed the ball to a trailing Jafar, who sent the ball into the middle of the net.

“Our second and third goals were beautiful passing combinations up the field,” Harvard coach Sue Caples said. “So we’re moving the ball well and creating a lot of good scoring opportunities.”

The Crimson stymied Brown’s offense in the second half, only allowing a single shot and possessing the ball for the vast majority of the period.

Harvard’s 6-0 penalty corner advantage in the second period allowed another goal to be scored by Jafar, but Brown goalie Kristen Hodavance’s four saves meant Jafar’s goal was the only one for the Crimson in the final frame.

With 15 total goals for the season, Harvard only needs to net one more to reach last year’s season tally, despite only having played seven of 17 regular-season games.

The Crimson will face another Providence, R.I., opponent when Providence visits Jordan Field this Wednesday. Harvard will look to extend its home win streak to five games.

—Staff writer Paul T. Hedrick can be reached at phedrick@fas.harvard.edu.

Field Hockey