Publisher, Guide Agree To Let Go

By Clifford M. Marks, Crimson Staff Writer

The long-time publisher of the Let’s Go travel guide series will end its partnership with the Harvard student-run organization after their contract expires in 2009.

The decision ends a 25-year relationship with St. Martin’s Press and comes as Let’s Go faces increasing competition from tourism Web sites and newer travel guides such as Lonely Planet.

The leaders of Let’s Go said they have not decided on how the series will proceed after 2009.

“We don’t consider it a loss but consider this a great opportunity for growth,” said the editor-in-chief of Let’s Go, Samantha L. Gelfand ’08. “We’ll be exploring all the usual options—talking to other publishers and exploring self-publishing.”

Let’s Go Incorporated employs over 100 student researchers and editors per year, and according to Let’s Go publishing director Ines C. Pacheco ’08, student positions will “definitely” not be cut this year as a result of the St. Martin’s decision.

“One of our goals as leadership this year is to make sure we preserve student jobs,” she said.

David Moldawer, a St. Martin’s editor, told the New York Observer last week that the break with Let’s Go reflected “a change in our publishing strategy and how we see the travel book market.”

Moldawer declined to comment further over the weekend.

In 2001, St. Martin’s commissioned a report about Let’s Go that panned the series as “young,” “commercial,” “beginner’s guidebook,” with “frivolous, silly” humor.

The report, which was based on four San Francisco focus groups, suggested that Let’s Go discontinue its guides and reopen with a different brand name.

“It is extremely difficult to change an image of a brand which has lost its stature as a leading brand, especially when the re-positioning is not supported by heavy marketing and advertising dollars,” the report read.

“It may be more prudent (and cost effective) to introduce a new series of guides under a new name with an updated format rather than trying to convince the target that ‘Let’s Go’ is new and improved.”

The Let’s Go editors declined to comment on the implications of that report, as well as on their negotiations with the publishing house.

Pacheco said that the organization would continue to adjust its franchise to the changing market for travel guides.

“Let’s go is re-launching its website this year,” she said. “We will adapt to the needs of our readership, so we’re not sure how we’re going to change of the next few years.”

Gelfand and Pacheco said a decision on publishing post-St. Martin’s would likely have to be made once they finish the 2009 series.

Before its contract runs out with Let’s Go, St. Martin’s will publish 30 new guides—15 in November of 2007 and 15 a year later.

The New York-based St. Martin’s Press also publishes books for The Crimson.

­—Staff writer Clifford M. Marks can be reached at cmarks@fas.harvard.edu.