Isis Club Fills Owl Nest: Female Group Gets a Room of Their Own

By Crimson News Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

The male-dominated world of Harvard final clubs is making a little more room for its female friends. The Isis Club, one of two all-female clubs, signed a lease yesterday with the Owl Club to use space in its building at 30 Holyoke St., according to the group’s president.

“The Isis Club has finalized lease negotiations with the Owl Club and we’ll be moving into our own separate portion of their building in the coming weeks,” Elizabeth S. Berylson ’08 said. “This marks a huge turning point in the Isis Club’s history, in addition to a great step for female final clubs on campus,.

The move makes the Isis the third all-female group to have space of their own in Harvard Square. In June 2006, the Seneca, a group dedicated to women’s social and professional development, moved into a house at 15 Mt. Auburn St.

The Bee Club, founded in 1981, uses the building that houses the men’s clothing store J. Press at 45 Dunster Street, the former home to the now-defunct D.U. Club.

The two all-female organizations join eight male final clubs—the oldest of which, the Porcellian Club, was founded in 1791.

The University severed all official ties to the final clubs in 1984.