Harvard Continues Winning Streak

By Jake I. Fisher, Crimson Staff Writer

In yesterday’s non-league contest, the Harvard women’s soccer team (6-3-3, 2-1 Ivy) dominated Maine (5-4-5, 2-2-1 America East) and claimed an impressive 4-1 victory.

The Crimson offense has come alive over the last two weeks, and the timing couldn’t be better. Harvard is approaching the heart of its Ancient Eight schedule and is currently positioned one point behind the league leader.

“It’s starting to come together, so we’re very excited about that,” Harvard coach Ray Leone said. “[The players] are starting to learn each other: [their] strengths and tendencies. It’s taken a long time to make that happen.”

Harvard has now scored three or more goals in three straight games, a major feat considering the squad did not score more than twice in any of its first nine contests.

Against Maine, Harvard got on the board quickly, scoring in the third minute. The play started with a precise through ball to sophomore Katherine Sheeleigh, who raced towards the goal and then slotted the ball across the box to freshman Melanie Baskind. Baskind, who leads the team with five goals and fifteen points, one-timed the pass into the side net.

Harvard notched another goal in the 25th minute. This scoring sequence was the work of junior Kelli Okuji and sophomore Gina Wideroff. From her defensive position, Okuji beat a Black Bear defender down the sideline and then found Wideroff racing through the center midfield. The sophomore dribbled to the top of the box, cut to her right, and ripped a shot into the upper left corner of the goal.

A third tally was added ten minutes later when freshman Patricia Yao found the back of the net off a cross from fellow rookie Hana Taiji.

Substitutes like Yao and Taiji were key in yesterday’s game and backup goalies junior Laura Dale and senior Maggie Robinson looked impressive, as well.

“We just try to get as many people played in as possible as we go down this final stretch,” Leone said.

Maine had one opportunity in the first half, when a botched header led to a Black Bear breakaway. Dale, however, saved the ensuing shot to preserve the shutout.

But Harvard was unable to dominate the second frame like it did in the previous half.

In the last half, the Black Bears came out with more intensity and tallied a goal in the 48th minute.

“We wanted to finish the game strong, and I credit Maine,” Leone said. “They had a renewed energy against us. We definitely don’t expect to shut them out.”

Late in the contest, Harvard found the net once more. After a couple of fancy spin moves in the right corner, sophomore Kerry Kartsonis sent a cross into the box. Junior Christina Hagner cut in front of her defender, controlled the ball, and delivered a shot into the right corner.

This Saturday, Harvard travels to Brown, which sits right behind Harvard in the Ivy League standings. To win the game, Harvard will need to continue to play strong offensively and keep a very high level of intensity throughout the contest.

“A lot of it comes own to emotion in the Ivy League,” co-captain Nicole Rhodes said. “At this point last season we weren’t geared up as much as we are this season.”

This season Harvard appears to be rolling on all cylinders. The squad has outscored its opponents 10-2 in its last three games and has won two league contests in a row.

“I think it’s been great to get some practices in and find some rhythm,” Rhodes said. “I think we’ve finally broken through.”

-Staff writer Jake I. Fisher can be reached at jifisher@fas.harvard.edu.

Women's Soccer