Mock Debate Hits on Latino Issues

By Evan T.R. Rosenman, Contributing Writer

Dining on Chilean empanadas, a group of students discussed the presidential candidates’ differing visions of Latin American relations last night, as part of the “Diálogo Latinoamericano” discussion series.

Last night’s event, sponsored by the David Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies (DRCLAS), began with a hypothetical debate between presidential candidates Senator John McCain and Senator Barack Obama about their positions on policies that impact Latin America, with two students taking on the candidate’s roles.

J. Carlos Bortoni ’11 and Walter E. Howell ’09, who also organized the event, used notes on their laptops to debate three central issues: trade, immigration, and national security.

Bortoni, who lives in Mexico, played the role of McCain, while Howell, who is also a Crimson sports editor, acted as Obama.

The event also featured Carlos E. Diaz Rosillo, who teaches Government 1359: “The Road to the White House.” In a brief talk, Diaz discussed a number of issues facing Latin American voters, including the fact that “those who care the most about immigration” in the Hispanic community tend to be immigrants themselves, who are often unable to vote.

Diaz also said that Latin America is “not a winning issue for any candidate,” though Senator McCain has a stronger record on such issues.

“I don’t think there will be a big difference in U.S. policy toward Latin America, regardless of who wins,” Diaz said.

Attendees were invited to act as “joint moderators,” and a lively discussion followed. The diverse audience, which included students from Puerto Rico, Ecuador, and Guatemala, asked a variety of questions relating to Obama’s proposed foreign aid policies, the role of the United States as a mediator in Latin American issues, and the role of the Hispanic community in this election.

Organizers said they were extremely pleased with the event. Howell said, “Last year, our first discussion had only about eight people. This year, we had about 15.”

Bortoni agreed, saying, “I think it was a very good start for ‘Dialogos’ this year, and it provided students with a perspective that is very important to them right now.”

Paul-Denys Calixte ’10 said he enjoyed the dialogue. “I definitely liked the open-ended nature of the discussion,” he said. “We had a very good cross-section of views on the topic.”

DRCLAS, referred to by its affiliates as “Doctor Class,” began the “Diálogo” discussions last year. While the center also sponsors various travel abroad programs, Howell said organizers hope “to continue the Latin experience once people returned to the U.S.” The talks aim to provide an opportunity for students to discuss Latin American issues in an informal setting.