POPSCREEN: T-Pain

"Choppen N Skrewed" dir. Clark Jackson

By Keara D. Cormier-hill, Contributing Writer

Ever since T-Pain started to don that Mad Hatter’s top hat and those digital stunna shades, he has truly been on some other stuff. The second video for his new album, “Chopped N Skrewed,” is “The Jimi Hendrix Experience” gone circus-digital almost like—hmm...well, the first video off the album, except replace Lil’ Wayne with Ludacris.

With one touch of a magic button on the shades, we are transported to a techno-psychedelic dream world where, as usual, T-Pain is hanging at the bar and the strip club like he has no home. Usually singers brag about how all they do is show up anywhere—club, bank, or nursing home—and immediately attract five girls on each arm. But in this video, T-Pain gets real in confessing his awkward attempts to holla. Have you ever been in the VIP room of your favorite club with a girl kissing on you and just when you think you’re getting some, “she takes a big sip out yo cup and says it’ll be 60 bucks?” (Umm, no, that is really only you.)

According to T-Pain, he’s officially been chopped n skrewed.

Now that’s catchy. Just makes you want to go to the nearest party and at the first sign of a failed pick-up, point, laugh, and yell, “Man, you just got chopped n skrewed!” Or not.

Even in going along with Teddy’s abstract video, some parts just make you say: why? Why is there an elephant with headphones and a chain onscreen throughout Luda’s verse? Why did T-Pain randomly turn into a pimp lion? And why did he feel it was necessary to pop and lock at the end of his video and not even do it right? The world is full of mysteries.