LIVE BLOG: HARVARD AT PRINCETON (10/25)

By Crimson staff, Crimson Staff Writer

FINAL: HARVARD 24, PRINCETON 20.

0:00: Pizzotti takes a knee and that's all she wrote.

0:56: Harvard calls time out with one second on the play clock to decide whether they'll go with a kick. And it looks like they're going to go for it. Pizzotti gets 7 yards and the first down with help from blocking from Gino Gordon.

1:45: Harvard's running down the clock, but they'll need a first down to run it out.

2:32: Pass to someone, tried to lateral it to Culbreath, but lateral was behind him and rolled way back to the 32, turnover on downs.

2:45: Anderson sacked by Eric Schultz for a loss of 13. That's a game breaker right there, sets up 4th and 18.

2:55: Deep pass to Peacock broken up by Hanson by a phenomenal pass break-up.

3:27: Fake hand off by McCray on the return, takes it to the 42.

3:34: Hand off to Gino, untouched for six yards and touchdown. Long's kick is good. 9 plays, 74 yards, 3:36 time of possession. HARVARD 24, PRINCETON 20.

4:32: Pizzotti lobs the pass up and Luft brings it down for a 35 yard completion.

4:52: 4th and short, Pizzotti drops back and hits Jason Miller for 13.

4:59: Pizzotti scrambles for what looked like a first down, but biased officiating crew gives a horrible spot.

5:23: First legitimate run by Harvard, Gino gains 14 on a draw.

6:05: Pizzotti holding onto the ball way too long, gets sacked for loss of 8.

6:32: Pass to Lorditch for 10 yards, first down.

7:04: Hand off to Gino for one yard.

7:10: Kick returned by Mike Clarke to the 26 yard line.

7:16: Bologna's 28-yard attempt is good. PRINCETON 20, HARVARD 17.

7:19: Pass to wide-open Peacock in the end zone gets dropped. How the heck do you drop a pass that open?! Sets up field goal.

7:59: Anderson runs up the middle, crashes into his own guy, gains nine on the play.

8:30: Culbreath runs for no gain, flag on the play for illegal shift.

9:35: Derrick Barker gets totally burned by Thanheiser on the pass and gets hurt on the play. Thanheiser's catch good for 20.

10:45: Anderson scrambles for 16 yards. You've gotta be kidding me. Harvard's rushing defense is a mere shadow of its former self.

11:09: Culbreath runs for 7. Harvard's defense is failing to do anything to cut down on these runs.

11:35: Thanheiser finds hole, runs for 7.

12:45: Catch by Adam Berry over Matt Hanson at the 28 yard line is good for 14, converting on third down.

13:38: Pass intended for Thanheiser tip by Barnes.

14:15: Perfect pass to Thanheiser for 14 yards.

14:50: Hand off to Matt Zimmerman gains maybe half a yard.

15:00: Looks like the mark is more at the one and a half.

FOURTH QUARTER

0:00: Thomas Hull punts it out of bounds at the two yard line.

0:40: Harvard turns to its terrible running game on 3rd and 10, gets four.

0:47: Pass to Luft, looked like he got hit early, but little surprises me now with this officiating crew.

1:27: Hand off to Gino, read all the way by the defense, stopped for no gain. The run game still has yet to prove itself.

2:08: Pass to Luft for seven yards. A little disagreement on the refs, proving once again the crappiness of the officiants. But the pass stands.

2:17: Adam Chrissis returns the kick to the 43 yard line.

2:22: Bologna's 23-yard kick is good. 14 plays, 73 yards, 8:15 time of possession. HARVARD 17, PRINCETON 17.

2:57: Peter Ajayi breaks through the line and stops Culbreath in the backfield for a loss of four, bringing up 4th and 6.

3:50: Culbreath runs into his own guy and is halted for two yards.

5:00: Huge hole opened for Culbreath, who gains 13 on the play.

5:26: Culbreath has mediocre run, but flag on the play (unnecessary roughness on Brenton Bryant) gives Princeton the first down.

6:38: Anderson to wide-open Adam Berry for 14 yards.

7:12: Culbreath's run was greeted early by Berry, held to only a yard.

7:51: Great pass to Thanheiser for 11. Andrew Berry was there but getting get a hand around to break up the pass.

8:30: Fake handoff to Thanheiser, Anderson runs it for 6 yards.

9:30: Harvard had to punt and Princeton has run on three straight plays. Barely manage a first down on the third one.

11:18: Gino Gordon runs it for seven yards.

11:33: Punt rolls out of bounds at the Harvard 43. Pizzotti starts the drive with an overthrown pass to a wide-open Levi Richards, incomplete.

12:15: Brenton Bryant grabs hold of one of Kopolovich's leg but can't bring him down immediately. Ultimately ruled down (for protection's sake) for a 9-yard loss.

13:05: Culbreath trips, gets just one yard. "Funny how the only we can stop Culbreath is when he trips," says Madeleine Shapiro.

13:19: Nothing doing, Pizzotti scrambles left, gets a terrific block from Gino Gordon and runs it 33 yards for touchdown. Long's kick is good. 8 plays, 56 yards, 1:37 time of possession. HARVARD 17, PRINCETON 14. Despite all the factors working against them, Harvard is somehow still winning.

13:53: Short pass to Richards for first down.

14:17: End around to Levi Richards for 5 yards.

14:22: Pizzotti has plenty of protection, just no targets and has to throw it away.

14:45: Pizzotti runs it for 11 yards, first down.

14:56: Squib kick received by Conor Murphy.

THIRD QUARTER

T-8: The venerable Jonathan Lehman—former Sports chair of The Harvard Crimson—is here in the press box.

HALFTIME

0:00: Culbreath ends the first half with 118 rushing yards. Unreal.

0:04: Pass tipped by Dorris, caught by Matt Hanson—shoutout to Crimson President and former football beat writer Malcom Glenn, who predicted Hanson would be Rookie of the Year.

0:10: Culbreath takes it to the three, just shy of a first down, and I suppose on a larger scale, just shy of a touchdown.

0:16: As he's being dragged down, Anderson decides to hurl it into the end zone. Nothing comes of it.

0:23: Pass to Adam Berry for nine yards.

2:00: Pass to Joe Magro for 11, followed by a pass to Thanheiser for 24. Princeton's just marching up the field.

3:02: Culbreath cannot be stopped, gains nine on the run.

3:50: Pizzotti sacked for 11. Thomas Hull out for the punt. Liam O'Hagan drags down the receiver at the Princeton 27.

5:00: Pizzotti to Richard, beat his defender and gets more than 10 yards before getting hit out of bounds. Should have been a flag for a late hit, but we already know where the refs' allegiances lie.

5:07: Princeton fourth-down pass tipped by three Harvard defenders. Good thing it wasn't picked though, turnover on downs.

5:50: Anderson sacked for six-yard loss.

6:35: Failed option play, Kopolovich is dragged down just shy of the Harvard 25 yard line.

7:17: Perfectly executed pass to Adam Berry for 12 yards.

8:01: A very wide-open Thanheiser misses the high pass from Kopolovich. Flag on the play for roughing the passer, 15 yards. "We are just giving them this game," says fellow staff writer Madeleine Shapiro.

8:27: Culbreath is running up and down the field on us and will likely have 100 yards within the first half. What's wrong with our D??

8:40: Offsides on Harvard causes a re-kick, from the 40 this time. Long boots it much further this time, but the kick is returned to essentially the same spot as before.

8:46: Penalty yardage for a roughing the passer call on that touchdown pass are assessed on the kick and Long kicks it short.

8:46: Pizzotti scrambles to the left, hits Chris Lorditch, back early from a season-ending high ankle sprain, in the end zone for 15 yards and a touchdown. Long's kick is good. 7 plays, 68 yards, 3:23 time of possession. PRINCETON 14, HARVARD 10.

9:40: Pizzotti to Matt Luft for 22 yards.

I just got logged out of this deal, so I lost a whole bunch. Not much doing, both sides had a turnover on downs. We were introduced to a Princeton wide receiver named Trey Peacock, winner of The Harvard Crimson's Fakest Name This Side of Porn Award. And we're in the second quarter.

SECOND QUARTER

2:33: Culbreath takes the hand off and runs, untouched for 10 yards and a touchdown. Bologna's kick is good. 12 plays, 80 yards, 6:06 time of possession. PRINCETON 14, HARVARD 3.

4:12: Anderson back in, connects with Thanheiser for the first down.

4:53: Kopolovich takes the snap and runs for the first, but gets stopped early. 4th and 2, going for it.

5:29: Glenn Dorris lays out to try to intercept Anderson's throw away pass. Last week's turnovers are getting to him.

6:08: Culbreath finds a hole for 21 yards.

7:04: Quarterback merry-go-round continues for Princeton and it's paying off. Also the officiating is all Princeton today. They just gave Anderson a very generous spot for a first down and the earlier call which led to Princton's touchdown.

8:17: Berry brothers, Adam (Princeton) and Andrew (Harvard) are lined up opposite each other.

8:39: Long kicking this time. Long's kick bounced in the back of the end zone and out, big kick.

8:56: Harvard has to settle for a field goal from 4th and 2 on the 8. Patrick Long's 25-yard field goal is good. 8 plays, 66 yard, 3:13 time of possession. PRINCETON 7, HARVARD 3.

9:31: Pizzotti looks for Richards in double-coverage in the end zone. It should have been intercepted but Richards does a good job to knock the ball down.

10:26: Chris Pizzotti has plenty of time in the pocket, hits Matt Luft for 42 yards.

11:05: Hand off to Ben Jenkins for 2 yards.

11:48: Pass to Levi Richards, holding on the play.

11:58: Culbreath 1-yd. run for a touchdown. Ben Bologna, winner of Harvard Crimson's Most Appetizing Name Award, kicks successful extra kick. 5 plays for 20, 1:54 time of possession. PRINCETON 7, HARVARD 0.

12:46: Princeton's running a literal quarterback shuffle, switching between Anderson and Dan Kopolovich. Harvard is having a hard time adjusting.

13:38: Princeton runs the option, Culbreath takes it to the six-yard line and a first down.

13:47: First play of the drive, Anderson looks to Will Thanheiser in the endzone, incomplete.

13:52: On the punt, Adam Berry gets hit hard before he can even make a play and the refs rule it okay. Princeton recovers the ball at Harvard's 20.

14:02: After a near miss sack, Anderson gets dragged down for a three-and-out.

14:10: After a short two-yard run by Jordan Culbreath, Brian Anderson throws an incomplete pass.

15:00: Princeton wins coin toss and chooses to receive. Freshman Patrick Duffy kicks-off. Meko McCray returned it to Princeton's 31.

FIRST QUARTER

T-6: During the playing of the National Anthem, a commercial "introducing bigger, tastier chicken stripes" blasted from the TVs in the press box. Really hard to maintain composure after that.

T-12: The Princeton band just came out in a weird "y","4", or upside-down lowercase "h" formation. No reference has been made to the Citadel incident.

T-25: We're here live in Princeton, N.J. bringing you up-to-date coverage of today's game.

Football