SPORTS BRIEF: Women's hockey downs Canada's top-ranked college team

By The Crimson Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

The No. 3 Harvard women’s hockey team took care of McGill University, Canada’s No. 1 team, 3-2, in exhibition action Saturday afternoon at Bright Hockey Center.

Freshman Whitney Kennedy scored what became the game-winning goal on an unassisted slapshot from between the circles at 12:55 of the third period.

The Crimson got things started at 17:34 in the first, capitalizing on a power-play opportunity. Tri-captain Jenny Brine put the puck in the net, assisted by junior Randi Griffin and tri-captain Sarah Vaillancourt.

Sophomore Kate Buesser made it 2-0 at 9:55 in the second, with classmate Amy Uber getting the assist.

The Martlets would get back within one at 12:53 of the second, on a goal by sophomore Cathy Chartrand. After McGill pulled its goalie with 1:25 to play, junior Caroline Hill added a second goal with just two seconds remaining in the game.

Harvard was 1-for-6 on the power play, while the Martlets were unable to score in their six opportunities.

Junior Christina Kessler, sophomore Kylie Stephens, and senior Brittany Martin combined for the win in net, making a collective 14 saves. Charline Labonte had 23 saves for McGill.

The Crimson opens its regular season on Friday night at ECAC foe Quinnipiac.

—THE CRIMSON STAFF

Women's Ice Hockey