Tune and Connolly’s Leadership Keeps Harvard Afloat

By Ricky Liu, Contributing Writer

For much of the season, the Harvard men’s water polo team has struggled to come into its own, trying to mature as a group while competing against increasingly difficult opponents.

More than half of the team’s members are underclassmen, and there are only two seniors on the squad.

But senior co-captains David Tune and Jay Connolly make sure that no matter what happens in the games, the younger players have guys to look towards as mentors.

“They’ll talk when necessary, but they let their actions do the talking…mentoring younger guys, showing them the ropes, preparing them for the challenges ahead,” head coach Erik Farrar said. “Both Jay and Tuna [Tune] are old school guys, lead by example types, and they are both very good at what they do.”

The Crimson (2-7, 1-1 CWPA) may not have done as well as it has wanted in the past several games, but the team has taken steps to turn these learning experiences into growth. The co-captains understand that even losses have their significance, realizing that their team has tremendous potential, as they push themselves to improve along with it.

As role models for the younger members of the team, Tune and Connolly understand that the other players look to them as examples.

Utility player Tune believes that as co-captain, it is his job to “create a positive atmosphere where young voices can be heard and encourage the freshmen so they can start to contribute right away.”

“I’d say when we came in, we got a lot of direction from upperclassmen,” goalkeeper Connolly said. “We’re trying to continue that tradition of being a resource out of the pool, while helping to channel enthusiasm that [the younger guys] come in with. That’s our overarching goal.”

Both Tune and Connolly prove why they deserve the captains’ titles through their hard work and determination.

This passion for excellence has not gone unnoticed by fellow teammates and coaches.

“Both have positions of extreme responsibility, and they are the positions that will get watched by other players,” Farrar said.

“Jay has the hardest work ethic on the team and the best talent but doesn’t rely solely on that,” sophomore Bret Voith said. “And, David is the leader who’s there with us, doing the same swim sets, always giving 100%. No one can go to practice and fool around and not see how hard the captains are working.”

However, this behavior does not apply to just team practice; both Tune and Connolly are leaders during their games as well, with Tune leading the Crimson’s offensive charge with 17 goals and Connolly playing solid defense, logging more than 60 saves on the season.

Their tireless efforts to put the team back on track through several tough contests have earned the respect of their younger teammates, inspiring them to dedicate themselves to the game as much as their captains have.

“I’ve never heard Jay or Tune complain,” sophomore Jeff Lee said. “They never whine and when times get tough, they put their heads down and battle through it. They keep us on our goal of getting to the Eastern finals.”

The co-captains have made an impression on their fellow teammates by keeping their spirits up and their minds focused, even through the hard times.

Tune and Connolly always make sure that the Crimson realizes that its record does not reflect its potential.

As long as Harvard men’s water polo follows the example set by its captains, of working hard in practice and in games, it will have the opportunity to direct these lessons towards a successful league season.

With 10 contests remaining, the Crimson has plenty of time to show how prepared its captains have made it and to demonstrate the outcome of their inspirational work ethics.

Men's Water Polo