Q: How many sober frosh does it take to screw in a lightbulb? 
A: It doesn't matter if Domna's there!
Q: How many sober frosh does it take to screw in a lightbulb? A: It doesn't matter if Domna's there!

A Thayer Mocktail, Better Than a Cocktail

Forget about the vending machine study breaks of yore. For this year’s lucky freshmen, it’s all about the mocktail. Thayer,
By Li S. Zhou

Forget about the vending machine study breaks of yore. For this year’s lucky freshmen, it’s all about the mocktail.

Thayer, apparently the Trump Tower of freshman dorms, brought out Domna, Petros, and the Opportunes, among other campus celebs, to liven up a dorm-wide masquerade ball held at the Natural History Museum last Thursday.

Who says you need alcohol to have a good time? The Thayerites traded in champagne for cranberry juice, mixing and mingling among kronosaurus skeletons and triceratops fossils.

“This is fairly low-key. Everyone’s actually talking as opposed to mashing up against each other,” says Jennifer A. Xia ’12.

Even without the social interaction that is grinding, Thayer kids managed to have a rocking time. Among the topics of discussion was the incredible locale of the party, which featured dinosaurs as the main attraction. According to Sanjay P. Misra ’12, “They’re bringing education outside of the classroom.”

But it wasn’t all work and no play; these prehistoric creatures definitely got people excited. “They make me party more hard,” says Genesis A. Vergara ’12. Dinosaurs are the new pregame.

Featured VIPs also added spice to the night. Petros, Harvard’s resident music sensation, served as DJ, only briefly interrupted by an Opportunes music sesh. Because a party without a capella is just not a party we want to be at.

Domna was greeted by paparazzi-like camera flashes as she entered the room, getting the star treatment for the rest of the evening as people waited to pose for pictures with her.

Judging by the success of the Thayer soirée, it’s clear that alcohol is no longer the main ingredient for a fun party—but a cameo by Domna still is.