BASKETBALL '08 SUPPLEMENT: 3-Point Line

After the NCAA decided to move back the three-point line last offseason, Lavietes Pavilion court was changed for good. It is the job of the Crimson’s crop of sharpshooters to adjust

By Thomas D. Hutchison, Contributing Writer

Seven veterans return for the Crimson basketball squad for the 2008-09 season, but Harvard fans will likely come to recognize many changes on the court this upcoming season for the Crimson.

The Harvard faithful will cheer on a highly anticipated and hyped class of freshmen new to Cambridge.

In addition to these new faces, Harvard fans will also see some changes on the court—literally—as there will be two different three-point lines on the Lavietes Pavilion court this season.

After 20 years at the 19’ 9’’ distance, the three-point line in men’s college basketball will move back a full foot to 20’ 9’’ beginning this season.

The decision was approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Committee last year and was met with a varied response throughout the country. The women’s committee decided to keep its line at 19’ 9’’, meaning there will be two different distances and two different lines on Harvard’s home court this season.

“We’ve tried to not focus on it, to be very honest,” Crimson coach Tommy Amaker says. “It’s an added distance…it’s a tougher shot for our kids to make.”

While the committee chose to keep the size of the lane at its current width, the decision to extend the NCAA arc to within three feet of the NBA distance of 23’ 9’’ will likely have a significant impact on how college basketball is played throughout the Ivy League and the country.

The change will likely affect who takes and makes three-point shots and at what percentages, the effectiveness of post players, and could possibly lead to an increase in mid-range jump shot attempts.

“We anticipate that percentages could drop, and we’ll look at that on a national level as well. We do have some kids who can make some of those shots,” Amaker says.

Harvard ranked dead last in the Ancient Eight last year, shooting just 31.7 percent from three-point range.

The team connected on 165-of-520 shots beyond the arc, averaging 5.5 three-point field goals per game.

Meanwhile, the Crimson allowed opponents to shoot 34.8 percent from behind the arc, the fourth best mark in the league. Harvard gave up 189 three pointers on 543 attempts, an average of 6.3 three-pointers allowed per game.
Senior guards Andrew Pusar and Drew Housman were the Crimson’s best three-point shooters percentage-wise a year ago, while junior guard Dan McGeary made and attempted the most three-pointers on the team.

Pusar finished the year 20-of-55 from behind the three-point line for a 36.4 percentage, while Housman was 31-of-85 for a 36.5 mark.

McGeary contributed a 31.5 three-point clip off the bench for Harvard, going 53-for-168 from beyond the arc. All three guards know the new three-point line will take some getting used to.

“I think it’s going to be a big change in terms of weeding out guys who wouldn’t ordinarily be shooting a lot of threes, like bigger guys won’t even probably attempt them now,” McGeary says. “But I think for guards and guys who shoot a lot of three-pointers, I don’t think it’s going to make a big difference percentage-wise. Once you get into your rhythm a month in, you feel good about it. It’s not too bad.”

The effect of the new three-point line will not be limited to guards and their shooting percentages, however.

The floor will certainly open up for post players, such as Harvard senior forward Evan Harris and junior forward Pat Magnarelli, to work inside.

“As a post player, it definitely stretches things out,” Harris says. “That extra step makes it harder for a perimeter player to help out and dig in. Post players have a bit more room to maneuver around and do what they need to do.”

For some, the change does not mattter because they have never shot from any other distance.

Freshmen Max Kenyi will likely lead the freshmen three-point gunners this year. It will be easier for the rookies, as this is just a small part of the class’ big adjustment from high school to collegiate play.

If players like Kenyi can get hot and shoot well from the field, the Crimson could be dangerous this year.

Kenyi, for his part, is confident that the adjustment can be made.

“[The change] doesn’t affect the good shooters,” Kenyi says.

Whether pulling up for a three-pointer from an extra foot away or going to work on the low block with newly found space, Crimson players, young and old, will have to take on the new challenge of a 20’, 9’’ three-point line in their pursuit of the 2008-09 Ancient Eight crown.

PreviewsMen's Basketball