Bring It On: The Harvard Pep Rally

Last year’s pep rally for The Game did not go exactly according to plan. Despite Harvard’s best (and rare!) attempt
By Meaghan E Lyons

Last year’s pep rally for The Game did not go exactly according to plan. Despite Harvard’s best (and rare!) attempt at pep, rainy weather forced would-be cheerleaders to take their party inside. But tonight will be different.

“It’s outside rain or shine,” says Vice-chair of the College Events Board Benjamin P. Schwartz ’10 confidently.

Regardless of how wet or cold you may be, the CEB has ensured that Girl Talk, the popular DJ, will be covered by a tent. And if listening to Girl Talk’s mashes aren’t incentive enough, there will be glowsticks. Yes, you read right: Glowsticks!

Tonight’s rally will feature appearances by the Harvard Kroks, the Harvard Cheerleading Team, the Harvard Marching Band, the Harvard Football Team, and the Black Men’s Forum steppers. And lots of people who have never been to a pep rally before.

“I’ve seen some of the stuff they are going to do and it’s going to be absolutely stellar,” says CEB Events Coordinator Amanda L. Brown ’09, in reference to what the BMF has planned.

Lucas Toffoli ’09, one of the captains of the cheerleading team, also promises a winning performance from his squad, saying, “The cheerleaders provide something visually entertaining that is fun for the crowd. At pep rallies and tailgates and things like that, we work with the band. It’s a good partnership between us.” Who knew the cheerleaders and the band kids were such good friends?

We at Harvard may know little about football games and pep rallies. We may not be allowed to tailgate after the game starts. And we may have no school spirit.

But if there’s one thing we do have, it’s a large gathering tonight (Thursday) in the Yard to congratulate ourselves. Bring an umbrella.