2-1 Loss Sends Harvard Home for Season

Even though Senior John Stamatis scored late in the first half, it proved not to be enough offense to give Harvard the win in the second round of the NCAA Tournament last night. No. 8 South Florida came away with a 2-1 win after breaking the 1-1 deadlock
By Alexandra J. Mihalek, Crimson Staff Writer

The No. 30 Harvard men’s soccer team ended their season-long battle to the NCAA tournament late yesterday evening.

After barely missing the title of Ivy League champions, being forced to find their place amongst the NCAA contenders with an at-large bid, and squeaking through the first round of the tournament with a double-overtime goal, the Crimson was finally stopped with a 2-1 loss at the hands of the No. 8-ranked University of South Florida. The loss finalized Harvard’s record to 12-6-0.

The Crimson, albeit entering the matchup as underdogs to the certifiable USF soccer powerhouse, kept the challenging Bulls on their toes. Both Harvard and USF recorded 11 shots on the night, with three of the Crimson’s and five of the Bull’s on goal, as both defenses proved forces to be reckoned with.

“It was definitely one of our best games of the year,” sophomore Robert Millock said.

Coach Jamie Clark, who ended his first year as the Virginia B. and James O. Welch Head Coach for Harvard men’s soccer with last night’s game, was in complete agreement.

“I thought we were brilliant,” Clark said. “We were very solid in the back, we didn’t give up too many opportunities, we followed the game plan and made things very hard for [USF]—we neutralized them and made it difficult for them to actually turn their possessions into meaningful chances.”

The Bulls were able to capitalize on two of their scarce possessions, however, with junior Zac Boggs scoring a goal in both the first and second half of the matchup. Boggs’ helped USF to an early lead, heading a cross from senior teammate Jason Devenish into the net in the fourth minute of play.

The Crimson countered later in the half, with a 23:44 goal from senior John Stamatis. Stamatis fired a hard shot towards the far post off of an assist from senior co-captain Michael Fucito, landing the ball into the back of the net behind renowned USF goalkeeper, sophomore Jeff Attinella.

Reemerging from halftime neck-and-neck with the Big East championship team, Harvard’s fate was sealed by Boggs’ second score of the night in the 63rd minute. After Crimson freshman goaltender Austin Harms deflected the ball, Boggs was able to send it back into the net, registering an unassisted goal.

“We went to sleep for a second and [had] two little mental lapses they capitalized on,” Clark said.

However, Harvard’s very competitive role in the matchup should not be overlooked, especially considering the caliber of skill seen in the Bulls. Attinella ranks fifth in the nation with a .881 save percentage, with USF also claiming the potent triple offensive threat of Boggs, and seniors Jordan Seabrook and Kevin Neaves, who all entered the game with double-digit figures in points.

“They’re an incredibly talented team,” Clark said. “They’re athletic and technical and skillful.”

The Crimson was able to keep the Bulls at bay, even with USF’s home field advantage. Junior Kwaku Nyamekye, who helped to control and set the pace for the game, led Harvard defensively, while classmate Andre Akpan and Fucito applied steady offensive pressure.

“With limited chances and limited opportunities, Andre and Fucito made [USF’s] back four worry a lot,” Clark said. “We showed that this game we were really in it until the final minute.”

Millock agreed, giving credit to the entire Crimson corps for the close result.

“Everyone played with a lot of heart and we stayed compact,” Millock said. “Coach Clark gave us a really good game plan and we stuck to the plan—it was spot on.”

With the Crimson bidding a bittersweet farewell to Tampa and their 2008 season, playing extraordinarily yet not returning to Cambridge with the win, the Harvard men have an additional aspect of their team to say goodbye to. The six senior members of the squad will hang up their cleats and crimson jerseys one last time, while the remaining members must prepare to fill the large holes left by the graduating class.

“We made strides [in the tournament] because we had great seniors and guys we will miss incredibly next season,” Clark said. “We’re going to have to find a way to replace six good players.”

Millock, however, is optimistic about Harvard’s 2009 return to the field.

“We have big expectations,” he said. “Hopefully we can develop into a contender every year.”

—Staff writer Alexandra J. Mihalek can be reached at amihalek@fas.harvard.edu.

Men's Soccer