Out-of-Control Colorful Sneaks

"The Trend is Nigh," by Erinn Westbrook

By Erinn V. Westbrook, Crimson Staff Writer

Colorful sneakers are absolutely in right now and the bolder, the better.

Today I was almost late for my midterm and “what to wear” was unfortunately the last thing on my mind. I rolled out of bed, threw on an oversized hoody and some stretchy leggings (to avoid a full-blown sweat suit) and set off. But, not to fear, fellow fashionistas. While my apparel choices may not have been at the top of the style charts, what I chose to put on my feet saved me from a fashion faux pas.

No, not moccasins, not UGGs and—sorry to report, prepsters—not even a pair of flashy Tory Burch flats. I pushed all of these choices aside, for none of them could have single-handedly saved me from my frumpy day.

What took me from “Oh man” to “Oh damn!” was a pair of out-of-control sneaks. I was wearing some limited-edition, pink-and-orange Nike dunks.

As I scurried down the street, it felt like hundreds of eyes were on my feet. I even got a few compliments, “Nice kicks!” and “Your shoes! Amazing!” My fresh Nikes were a sensation. An hour later, as I triumphantly handed in my midterm, my professor said to me “Oh snap, your kicks are hot fire.”

Then I realized he didn’t actually say that; but I know he was thinking it. For the rest of the day, I marched around campus feeling like a rockstar. These shoes made me unstoppable.

Bold sneakers became a trend when Kanye sported them years ago and ever since the magical shoes have been on the rise. If you don’t have a pair—or two or three—get on it! They could be your wardrobe savior. And the best part about a pair of tight kicks is the fact that they are for everyone.

A common misconception about these eye-catching sneakers is that they are only for urbanites, hipsters, rockers, rap stars, and maybe even the emo boy in black skinny jeans sulking in a corner.

This is false. While all of those people can definitely wear them, you can too. Sneaker companies are coming up with new designs every day and there are already thousands of different types on the shelves in various fabrics and color schemes.

Maybe you like hi-tops. Maybe you are more of a low-rider. Maybe you want a single-colored shoe, maybe you crave a rainbow. Whatever your preference, there is something for you. But you shouldn’t be afraid to venture outside of your comfort zone when making fashion choices.

When picking out a pair, it’s okay to feel a little dangerous. Go for the metallic, the sparkles, or maybe even the shoes with the flames and little lights on the side (just kidding, put those down).

We’ve all been frequently reminded that this is a time in our lives for experimentation. Dye your hair purple, pierce a nipple, buy a pair of ridiculous sneakers—it’s all good! So boys, spice up your khaki pants and Brooks Brothers button-down with some hot red and blue Adidas. Girls, the plain skinny jeans look so much better with a pair of rockin’ hi-top Nikes.

Drew Faust, you know you want a pair of metallic Air Force Ones (Crimson, of course), so go get some, girl!

Get yourselves a pair of kickass tennys. Do it. You know you want to.

—Columnist Erinn V. Westbrook can be reached at ewestbr@fas.harvard.edu.