College Deans Join Freshmen Election Parties Viewings

By Esther I. Yi, Crimson Staff Writer

In the Wigglesworth common room last night, a portion of patriotic streamer fell off the wall and hung limply as a group of freshmen watched the election returns on television. Textbooks and computers sat stalely on students’ laps, and a white cake iced with the American flag remained mostly uneaten.

Suddenly, Dean of the College Evelynn M. Hammonds entered the room: “It’s too quiet in here. What’s wrong? What happened?”

Dean of Freshmen Thomas A. Dingman ’67 followed at her heels; last night, the pair travelled around the Yard, visiting viewing parties in Wigglesworth, Greenough, Canaday, and Holworthy to watch the intensifying election returns with first-years.

“I just wanted to come up and see what people were doing and thinking and how the vibe was,” Hammonds said. “Is it exciting, is it boring?”

“Boring?” Dingman asked incredulously.

Hammonds posed questions to students as she furrowed her eyebrows at the screen and crossed her arms, deep in concentration.

“Okay guys, is it going to be an early night or a late night?” she asked.

Dingman craned his neck forward at the screen as he tried to attach a patriotic pin to his jacket lapel.

“For the rest of your life, you’ll remember where you were, what happened,” Dingman said.

“No matter what, this is just an historic election,” Hammonds agreed. “The youth have been energized.”

When Hammonds and Dingman were asked who they voted for, both declined to answer.

“No way—that is so personal,” Hammonds said. “It’s like asking for my social security number.”

According to the Federal Election Commission, Hammonds donated $2,300 to the Obama campaign at the end of March.

Dingman said his bright red jacket has led to accusations of overt partisanship.

“But I have on blue pants,” he said, gesturing to the rest of his outfit. “This is all-American.”

Students said they were excited to share the night with the deans.

“Dean Dingman is awesome,” said Senan Ebrahim ’12. “A-W-E-S-U-M-M-M.”

Evan R. Covington ’12 said he thought Dingman and Hammonds were taking “a very proactive role” in engaging students in the political process.

“You never see this type of interest generally among young people, so it’s very exciting to see them supporting us,” Covington said.

The Obama supporter, who joined the festivities in Canaday, said the election fever may interfere with his academic duties.

“I might just not go to sleep,” Covington said. “I have a Chinese oral midterm tomorrow.”

—Staff Writer Esther I. Yi can be reached at estheryi@fas.harvard.edu.