Lending a Hand

Spare Change is a cultural institution that cannot be lost

By The Crimson Staff, None

Last night, students lined the streets of Cambridge cheering with unalloyed joy for Senator Barack Obama’s presidential victory. Outside with them, hardly noticeable to most, was part of Boston’s homeless population—currently about 6,000 strong. Facing financial difficulties, their biweekly newspaper, Spare Change News, may soon close. We must do what we can to save and preserve Spare Change as a forum for homeless concerns, and a voice “for those who had been voiceless.”

In many ways, Harvard Square is a haven for the homeless. Harvard Square Homeless Shelter (HSHS), the only entirely student-run shelter in America, has provided beds, food, and social programs—including health services, jobs, and permanent housing—to homeless people for over 25 years. While this aid is admirable, Spare Change is a necessary complement for the homeless community.

However progressive HSHS may be, it is still a charitable organization. Spare Change, importantly, is not. It is an organization dedicated to homeless empowerment, from its mission statement to its content. Published by the Homeless Empowerment Project (HEP), every issue proudly states that Spare Change intends, “To present, by our own example, that homeless and economically disadvantaged people, with the proper resources, empowerment, opportunity, and encouragement are capable of creating change for ourselves in society.” The agency implicit in this mission is clear: By their own example, empowered homeless—and economically disadvantaged—people use Spare Change to make a difference for themselves, instead of being helped by others.

As the nation dives deeper into economic crisis, it may be difficult to maintain institutions like Spare Change. HEP relies more upon contributions than sales for publication. Going forward, these contributions will inevitably decline—as HEP Operations Director Randal Eck said, “If you just got laid off, would I really expect you to give me the $500 you gave last year? No.” On top of this hardship, the paper’s primary benefactor—a member of the Buffet family who donates $40,000 a year—has been alienated by Spare Change’s partnership with the Boston-based Whats Up magazine. The future looks precarious, to say the least.

The role Spare Change plays as an agent for empowering the homeless gives it value beyond that of economic improvement, jobs, or profit. Its value is cultural. Articles in a recent issue highlighted the effect of the credit crisis on soup kitchens and non-profit organizations, explained referenda on the ballot yesterday, and offered a heroin addict’s perspective on recovery. These voices define Spare Change as a cultural institution unique to Harvard Square—an area long known for its pursuit of truth.

Through many state, federal, and local administrations and their efforts to eradicate poverty, Spare Change has remained as a bellwether for homeless people. No matter the cost, members of the Harvard Square community should unite to ensure its survival. All it takes is a little spare change.