Anxiety Follows Joy for Winning Candidates As They Look to Future

By Elias J. Groll, Crimson Staff Writer

Soon-to-be Undergraduate Council President Andrea R. Flores ’10 paced while awaiting the results of the student government elections last night, exchanging nervous hugs and worried looks with anxious staffers.

When election officials announced that she had been voted into the UC’s highest office, Flores—bundled in the arms of running-mate Kia J. McLeod ’10 and flanked by friends and campaign staffers—looked on in a state of shocked surprise.

Flores stood quietly amidst a crowd of her supporters, absorbing a moment made all the more unlikely by the suspension of her campaign late Sunday night, while all around her chants of “yes we did” erupted. Jolted out of her reverie by McLeod’s pumping fist, a smile crept across Flores’ face.

“I feel incredible,” said the newly-minted president. “But oh my God, now I have to run the UC.”

Flores—by her own account the first Latina to assume the UC presidency—won the election in historic fashion, eking out a victory that saw her garner only 66 more first-place votes than her nearest opponent. The election was the closest contest in at least five years, according to election officials. At one point, the Schwartz campaign trailed by only 18 votes, officials said.

“This is a historic moment­—the first time the Institute of Politics, the College Democrats, and the UC have been led by a woman,” said Daniel V. Kroop ’10, Flores’ campaign manager.

Others said that Flores’ gender was not the most exciting thing about her appointment.

“Andrea is the Barack Obama to my Al Sharpton,” said Frances I. Martel ’09, a former UC presidential candidate who who is also Latina. “I knew that one day one of our kind would assume the highest office.”

Addressing a crowd of about 20, Flores thanked her supporters and campaign staff for their work, particularly praising her running mate’s dedication.

She then retreated to the corner of the room, sharing swigs from a bottle of champagne with her staff.

But even with the election at a close, Flores had a few words to say concerning the allegations of ethical violations that led to the forced suspension of her campaign on Sunday.

“You put me through hell, Cupps,” Flores told Steven T. Cupps ’09, the chair of the Election Commission, which oversees and enforces election rules.

Meanwhile, campaign staffers said that although they would enjoy the victorious moment, work on the priorities of the new administration was expected to begin today.

Flores will try to represent the entire campus, not only those who voted for her, hoping to build on her campaign theme of bringing students together, said Colette J. Hinckley ’09, a senior staffer.

Flores said that she will fly home to New Mexico today to be with her family and catch up on schoolwork neglected during the campaign.

Last night she called her mother to pass on the news of her victory.

Her response?

“Alright, don’t miss your flight.”

—Staff writer Elias J. Groll can be reached at egroll@fas.harvard.edu.