Erik Groszyk’s Long Road Back To Action

A serious concussion sidelined Erik Groszyk (center) for a year-and-a-half, but his passion for the game never left and after a summer of hard work, the senior guard is back on the bench for the Crimson.
By Nico S. Theofanidis, Contributing Writer

At first, it was like any other game.

The score was tight, with the Harvard men’s basketball team trailing by a few points in the closing minutes of the second half against Long Island on Dec. 9, 2006. The Crimson needed a boost. Running the ball up the court, then-sophomore point guard Erik Groszyk came under heavy defensive pressure and took an elbow to the back of his head.

“At the time it didn’t seem to be a very bad blow, but it turned out to be a pretty terrible concussion,” explained Groszyk. “It became a major issue. I had to leave school for a semester. It affected my schoolwork and other aspects of my life.”

Unable to receive the necessary treatment at Harvard for such an injury, Groszyk was sent to a neurologist who specialized in sports-related head injuries. The physician explained to Groszyk the severity of the concussion and the implications and risk of a potential future injury. He told the point guard that his basketball career was over.

“He said that if I were at a different school or if I had a pro career, he’d clear me. But given my circumstances, the risk was too great,” said Groszyk.

Most would have taken the specialist at his word. Groszyk refused to allow for the injury to define what he could and could not do. Abandoning his game was out of the question.

“The biggest reason why I am here is to play basketball.” Groszyk said. “When that was taken away from me, I definitely felt lost in a way.”

Despite his efforts, the administration of Harvard remained firmly opposed to Groszyk coming back on the court. The potential risk to his health and the liability that the school would face allowing him on the court was too much.

After months of frustration, Groszyk found a legal loophole around the problem late last spring. If Groszyk were to sign a form waiving all Harvard University of all liabilities if he were to result in injury, Groszyk would be allowed to play again.

Contacting and arranging to train with a family friend and trainer at the University of Texas in Austin, Groszyk began his uphill battle to reclaim his spot on the Varsity squad.

“I just found a place on Craig’s List, showed up, and started playing,” Groszyk said.

“I was only playing a little bit of basketball everyday for the eight weeks I was training, but I was focusing on rebuilding my foundation for the game.”

Throughout the course of the summer, Groszyk remained committed to the game and to his recovery. His determination to not accept anything short of his best effort each and every day made the eight weeks of training crucial in accelerating his recuperation.

“I’m personally sure that he worked harder this summer than anyone on the entire team,” said roommate and senior guard Drew Housman.

Of all the work that Groszyk committed throughout the summer to strengthen his cardio endurance, gain muscle weight, and put back together his basketball game, the most difficult part for him was redeveloping his feel for the game.

“The hardest part for me has been getting my rhythm back,” Groszyk said. “Shooting, passing, there’s so much to the rhythm of the game that I hadn’t thought of before. I realized pretty quickly stepping on the court again that rhythm was going to be something that I was going to need to focus on.”

Returning from the training and approaching head coach Tommy Amaker in August, Groszyk expressed his wish to return to the squad. Amaker was happy to take Groszyk back, but told the point guard that he would need to work his way back up from JV.

“It was a huge disappointment at the start of the year when the coaches said that I would need to start at JV and work my way up, but Coach Amaker was always really clear that there was an opportunity for me and that it was reachable if I was willing to take it,” Groszyk said.

Through the good and bad, two things have helped him endure through his misfortune: his love for the game and his dedication to his teammates.

“You could tell that he still really wanted to be on the courts,” said roommate and captain guard Andrew Pusar. “He wanted to be a part of it and continue to play basketball. Erik is great person in locker room and on the court.”

After training and playing this winter with the JV team, Groszyk was asked by Amaker to suit up with the Varsity. Traditionally, the JV and Varsity teams have been separated.

“We’ve always wanted the JV program to be a part of everything with the varsity team,” Amaker said. “We want that to be available to kids on campus, for kids who want to try out, see that there’s an avenue to potentially put your self in uniform, and play in games on the varsity.”

The move to suit up Groszyk with the Varsity most likely signals both the importance of the JV program and Amaker’s respect for Groszyk’s rapid recuperation and improvement. He made his long-overdue return Nov. 29 against Army in the final minute. Four days later, he was back in uniform against Boston University, seeing the floor for the end of the game as well.

His coach hinted there may be more sightings of Groszyk throughout the season, and not just after the game has been decided.

“Certainly in games, I don’t have any reservations if we have a need for a ball-handler or shooter, to put him in. Erik’s done that exceptionally well, as well as anybody on our team,” Amaker said. “He’s a tremendous teammate, and that’s important for us to recognize.”

Men's Basketball