NOTEBOOK: Richter, Defense Power Win

Freshman Pier-Olivier Richaud scored his first two collegiate goals, including the game-winner, in a 4-1 victory over Quinnipiac. Both goals came as the forward crashed the net and put away rebound opportunities.
By Courtney D. Skinner, Crimson Staff Writer

Nabbing an early lead, the Harvard men’s hockey team skated to a 4-1 win against No. 16 Quinnipiac Saturday night. The victory marks the Crimson’s second straight win against a nationally ranked competitor and puts Harvard into a three-way tie for fifth place in the league, just one point behind fourth-place Cornell.

“We played pretty much for 60 minutes,” Crimson co-captain Mike Taylor said. “It was a full effort. We defended well, we were able to establish the forecheck, the power play executed, we scored when we needed to...it was an all-around good effort.”

The Harvard freshmen led the charge on offense. A pair of rookies slammed in the Crimson’s first two goals of the night. Freshman Matt McCollem put away the first goal, knocking in a one-timer from the right side, and three minutes later, center forward Pier-Olivier Michaud pounced on senior Dave Watters’ rebound, smashing it into the net for his first collegiate goal. Michaud notched another goal late in the second period, finishing off a shot by sophomore Ian Tallett. Michaud had a chance to give the the Crimson back-to-back hat tricks at the end of the game, but his shot was pushed wide by the Quinnipiac netminder.

LET’S GET PHYSICAL

After Harvard was called for five straight penalties in Friday night’s contest against Princeton, the Crimson was especially mindful of limiting its time in the box against Quinnipiac.

“I thought we had better discipline tonight,” said Harvard coach Ted Donato ’91. “Especially when you play with a lead, the other team is looking to trade off some penalties and scrums, and I think our guys did a great job of not getting involved with that.”

In a physical game against the Bobcats, Harvard spent just 12 minutes in the box over the course of the night. Quinnipiac, on the other hand, racked up seven minors and one major penalty, giving the Crimson six power-play opportunities. Harvard converted on a power play after the Bobcats were called for a five-minute major in the first period.

“They kept getting chippy around our net,” Taylor said. “The gloves came up high a few times...The ref didn’t get all the calls, I don’t think, after the whistle, but our guys did a great job of staying disciplined and staying out of the box.”

DEFENSIVE DOMINATION

Quinnipiac outshot the Crimson, 38-33, but Harvard’s defensemen shut down the Bobcats’ offensive charge. Sophomore goalie Kyle Richter made 37 saves—29 in the final two periods.

“Definitely in the first half of the game, he was a little more active, but he not only made a lot of very good saves, but he looked in control,” Donato said. “I think when he’s seeing the puck like he did tonight, it really gives our team a boost of confidence.”

Richter was supported by a solid defense, as 14 of Quinnipiac’s shots were blocked by Harvard blueliners. In the middle of the second period, after Richter blocked a close Bobcat attempt, sophomore Chad Morin cleared it out of the crease along the right boards. During a Quinnipiac power play late in the third period, junior Jimmy Fraser made another solid save for the Crimson.

“The D did a great job moving the puck,” Taylor said. “We were able to get out of our zone before they could set up their forecheck and that was key to our victory tonight.”

TWO-MINUTE MINORS

Michaud’s former coaches from the Portland Junior Pirates of the Atlantic Junior Hockey League were in the stands at Saturday night’s game...The Crimson coaches wore pink ties at this weekend’s game to support the Pink at the Rink campaign launched by ECAC Hockey and Coaches Vs. Cancer...Harvard has taken the lead in the first period in each of its last five games.

—Staff writer Courtney D. Skinner can be reached at cskinner@fas.harvard.edu.

Men's Ice Hockey