Seen and Scene

The next time you’re in a public place and see someone dancing wildly with headphones on, look around—if there are
By Jihae Lee

The next time you’re in a public place and see someone dancing wildly with headphones on, look around—if there are 400 other people doing the same thing, you may have just found yourself in the middle of a silent dance party.

The Banditos Misteriosos, a group of Boston locals that organizes flash mob events, hosted Boston’s First Silent Dance Experiment in front of Faneuil Hall. The group wrote and recorded a song that directs the listener to perform certain motions—such as “Squat down, pose like ‘The Thinker,’ and freeze”—and rock out together.

Following the style of a similar event in New York City last summer called the “Mp3 Experiment,” this venture requested that all participants visit the group’s Web site beforehand, download the MP3, synchronize their watches, and show up Saturday afternoon ready to get down.

Ondi Gottesman, who graduated from Brandeis University last year, provided the vocals on the mysterious dance track and helped to organize the event, hoping to up the cool-factor of Boston student activities.

“This was just a reaction to seeing events like these going on in larger cities,” says Gottesman. “Boston was missing out, even though it has the largest college-age population of any city.”

Harvard students, often in search of social interactions that don’t require any actual interaction, eagerly attended. Ted A. Timothy ’11, joined by several friends, braved the trek from the Yard and was well rewarded for his effort.

“It was really well done,” says Timothy, “If every other one is as good as this one, I’ll definitely participate.”

Despite the alone-in-a-crowd nature of the event, some tasks involved working with others. At one point in the throwdown, dancers were instructed to look for a familiar face—Moses, who then lead them in a conga line.

With limited interpersonal interaction and intellectual references to art and religion, the party was a success for those who made the T ride. For those who didn’t (after all, getting to Faneuil Hall requires not only going into Boston, but changing trains!), remember that all it takes is an iPod and charisma to start your very own silent dance party. Rock on, Harvard.