Love It: Athletic Recruiting

In light of the recent recruiting “scandal” with the Harvard Men’s Basketball team, I think it’s high time we set
By Nicola C. Perlman

In light of the recent recruiting “scandal” with the Harvard Men’s Basketball team, I think it’s high time we set the score straight. Fine, some of Coach Tommy Amaker’s recruiting techniques seem to be a little…sketchy. And yes, I understand that brawn is not brain, and that Harvard is a university not an athletic agency.

The problem though, is that I kinda like the muscles. Hell, I say the more recruited athletes the better—especially if they’re the hunks that Amaker is recruiting. I am highly in favor of the toned, 6-foot-plus men that he is desperately trying to bribe into coming to our less-than-stellar athletic school. We’re all about diversity, right? And trust me, we need a little more of it in the looks arena.

But don’t get me wrong, there are other perks to athletic recruitment besides improving the overall physique of the student body. Recruitment also means that maybe we’ll actually have a legit sports team for once, and possibly (gasp!) school spirit?!

As an athlete myself (although, alas, not a heavily-recruited one whose story as a high school student appeared as the feature of the Sunday New York Times Sports story…close, but not quite), I can tell you is sucks to not have any fans at our games. And being the resilient and resourceful gal that I am, I have vowed to make Harvard understand the glory and fun that accompanies spectator sports.

Problem: we need winning teams, not to mention good athletes to accomplish these goals.

Solution: Recruiting.

And I swear, if we up the school spirit, we will enjoy Harvard more. Happy students attend football games. So don’t hate on the recruiters—it’s benefiting you too.