SPORTS BRIEF: Rumors Hint at Recruiting Loss for Men's Hoops

By The Crimson Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

Unconfirmed reports by several internet sports blogs are suggesting that 6’10, 230 pound center Frank Ben-Eze has rescinded his commitment to join the Harvard men’s basketball team in the fall.

No reason has been given for his decision to back out of the commitment.

Ben-Eze, of Bishop O’Connell High School in Arlington, Va., surprised many by verbally committing to Harvard in October despite receiving interest from ACC and Big East schools, including Marquette, Virginia, and West Virginia.

The Nigerian native was in the news last week after the New York Times questioned rookie Crimson coach Tommy Amaker’s recruiting practices.

The Times suggested that Ben-Eze had not yet attained the minimum score on the Academic Index, the formula used to determine a high-school athlete’s Ivy League eligibility.

No recruits have yet been admitted to Harvard.

With Ben-Eze, Amaker’s 2008-2009 recruiting class had been called one of the top 25 in the country, and many considered the Nigerian center to be its headliner.

Ben-Eze and Max Kenyi of Washington, D.C., another incoming recruit who has verbally committed to the Crimson, have been considered three-star prospects by rivals.com.

The move means that Ben-Eze will be re-opening his commitment. He will likely be contacted by many other programs across the country, as the big man has been considered by ESPN among the top 150 high school players available this season.

—KEVIN C. REYES

Men's Basketball