The racks at CCTS take a different spin on “second coming”

One Saintly Steal

The situation is all too familiar: you leave William James Hall proudly waving a $10 bill earned in the name
By Jackie L. Nesi

The situation is all too familiar: you leave William James Hall proudly waving a $10 bill earned in the name of scientific advancement, but suddenly become overwhelmed by an insatiable desire for an over-priced James Dean poster from the COOP or new Tannery boots with high-fashion exteriors that resemble small furry animals. In a fleeting moment, your hard-earned cash is squandered away, leaving you confused, helpless, and flat-out broke.

But it doesn’t have to be that way. Your spare change can do wonders at Christ Church Thrift Shop (CCTS), open Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. With all proceeds benefiting Christ Church, one of Cambridge’s oldest buildings, the shop boasts an ever-changing selection of vintage goods that range from clothing and shoes to posters, rugs, and furniture. CCTS even offers unique items such as an old-school s’more maker.

“We really consider ourselves a benefit to the community,” says chairwoman Diane Spurr. “There are people who can’t afford to buy things new, and we have a lot of really good, nice quality stuff.”

Although the shop has been around for decades, the word is just now spreading among Harvard students eager to enhance their wardrobes without emptying their wallets. Sam Teller ’08-’09 considers himself a CCTS convert, having recently made his first purchase: a rain jacket and tie for just $10.

“Why spend $40 for a sweatshirt at American Apparel when you can get cheap, fun clothes and support the good folks at Christ Church?” says Teller, a former Crimson magazine editor.

In addition to perusing the bountiful assortment of items, students can contribute to the cause by donating items of their own.

“At the end of the year, it is an ideal place for students to donate things they don’t want to bring home,” says Spurr.

So when it comes time to make your spring shopping list, ask yourself: What Would Jesus Do?