Singing It From Kuumba to Badu

'Sing it Sister! A celebration of Black Women in music'

By Rebecca A. Schuetz, Crimson Staff Writer

Underneath the ambient lighting of the Queen’s Head Pub and the white noise of people talking and laughing, a strong voice cut through, and the crowd quickly hushed. It was Chiazotam N. Ekekezie ’08 with the Sisters of Kuumba, starting off the night for “Sing It, Sister! A Celebration of Black Women in Music.” The show’s repertoire ranged from old African-American spirituals to modern songs such as Erykah Badu’s “Tyrone.”

“I think it gave a sampling of what black female artists can do,” singer Jordan A. Bryant ’11 said of the performance. The event was part of the 11th annual
Black Arts Festival and focused exclusively on showcasing the talents of black female artists in order to commemorate International Women’s Day. The event was conceived by the organization in February. “It’s the fi rst thing of this kind in the pub,” said Ekekezie, who is a Black Arts Festival Co-Chair.

Among the performers following the Sisters of Kuumba were Kristen M. Jones ’08, Bryant, and alumna Johanna N. Paretzky ’03. The crowd pulled close in the standing space around the stage, cheering when singers hit the high notes and singing along to classics such as Aretha Franklin’s “Respect.”

Even the seated audience members nodded and grooved along as they enjoyed the free fries provided by the Queen’s Head. The friendly banter that prevailed throughout the pub augmented the familiar atmosphere during the interactive and highly personal performances.

Many alumni had returned for the event. and were invited on stage to show they could still move a room even after they had left college. The talent in the room was juxtaposed with an easy informality as the artists introduced their songs and fellow performers in a warm manner.

Saxophonist Marcus G. Miller ’08 introduced Byrant with an anecdote of the first time he heard her sing. “She sounded like a tuning fork, her pitch was so clean and clear. I was like, ‘What’s that?’ and she was like, ‘That’s me, singing.’”

Bryant went on to sing a few “oldie-but-goodies,” really connecting with the audience. By the end of the night, people were arm-in-arm and swaying to the music. “The audience is fantastic,” Ekekezie said. “Just like we had hoped. Great turn out, great energy. Everything’s great!”

—Staff writer Rebecca A. Schuetz can be reached at schuetz@fas.harvard.edu.