College Eliminates Transfer Admissions for Next Two Years

The College will not be accepting any applications for transfer admission for the next two years because its Undergraduate Houses cannot accommodate the extra students, the admissions office announced Thursday.

The announcement cited the findings of the Space Assessment Committee, which was convened over a year ago to collect comprehensive data on all of the residential space at the College.

“The reality is that the last couple of freshmen classes have been big, and every house is above capacity,” said Jay M. Harris, the master of Cabot House and a senior adviser to Dean of the College David R. Pilbeam.

The announcement is the latest in a series of moves designed to alleviate overcrowding.

Dean of Admissions William R. Fitzsimmons '67 said in an interview last month that the College would be accepting fewer students this year—and wait-listing more—in order to ensure that the Class of 2012 does not exceed the capacity of the freshman dorms.

In addition, Dunster House recently announced that it would be offering more singles next year, and Winthrop House announced Tuesday that seniors would no longer receive coveted “n+1” housing.

—Check Thecrimson.com for updates throughout the evening.