AOTW: Rookie Seals Harvard’s First League Victory

Freshman Jess Halpern, who is second on the team with 28 points, launched in Harvard’s game-winning goal against Brown last weekend, securing the Crimson’s first Ivy League victory.
By Michael J. Buckley, Contributing Writer

At 7-2, the Harvard women’s lacrosse team has been plowing through its competition since the start of the season. Compared to its 5-11 record last year, the Crimson appears to be an entirely new squad.

Whether this year’s success is due to the addition of Lisa Miller as head coach, a changing mentality among the players, or a desire to rebound from a difficult season last year, is unclear. What is for certain, however, is that freshman midfielder Jess Halpern has been a huge part of this change.

While most of the student body was enjoying spring break last week, Halpern was busy with her team on the lacrosse field.

Harvard faced off against Brown on March 22 in the first match of the Ivy League season with a chance to get off to a strong start in conference play.

The scoring was back-and-forth, but eventually Harvard came out on top, 14-13, in large part due to a clutch effort by Halpern.

The rookie captured the game-winning goal with fewer than eight minutes left in the game, leading the team to its first Ivy League victory.

In addition to the game-winner, Halpern tallied three more goals, each unassisted. She also assisted junior Kaitlin Martin on the Crimson’s eighth goal. Halpern’s five points paced Harvard for the day.

“It was a battle all over the field up until the end,” senior Caroline Simmons said. “And we pulled away with the win due to some key shots by Jess Halpern.”

Three days later, the Crimson defeated Vermont, 13-10. Halpern once again posted a solid performance, knocking in the second and third goals, which gave Harvard an early lead. Halpern also tallied one assist.

While the Crimson dropped Saturday’s matchup with Yale, 14-6, Halpern still managed to score a goal.

With nine points in three games, there is no denying the impact that Halpern has had on the team this season.

“I think Jess is only going to become more and more influential over the next three years here and finishing the season,” sophomore Delia Pais said.

Expectations are certainly high, considering how well Halpern has already done in her first season with the Crimson.

She is currently second on the team with 28 points, including 20 goals and 8 assists. She trails only junior Kaitlin Martin, who has 39 points.

“Jess definitely made a statement in the very first game we played and has had to work and is trying to work to continue that level of play,” Pais said.

When the Crimson defeated Holy Cross, 19-2, in the opening game of the season, Halpern totaled four goals and one assist, a striking amount considering her newcomer status.

In addition to Halpern’s success during gametime, she is considered by her teammates to be a great addition off the field as well.

“She really gets a long with everyone on the team,” Pais said. “It’s hard to build and improve without team chemistry so it’s a very good thing that we have it. It is an integral part of any time I think.”

Halpern herself echoed that sentiment.

“I love my team,” Halpern said. “We get along great. I have never been on a team that is so close before. I think because we are all so close and such good friends that it is helpful on the field.”

Despite Halpern’s success, she is not shy to point out her own weaknesses.

“I need to work on my shooting a lot, my placement, and just leaning in when I shoot to gain power on my shot,” Halpern said. “I need to work on seeing the open field better.”

Even so, while Halpern may need to fine tune certain aspects of her game, she has already made a strong first impression on the Ivy League in her rookie season, and her early success can only mean good things for Harvard’s future.

Women's Lacrosse