It took more backup than usual to prove their ID’s weren’t fake on Drag Night.

Putting the Queen in Queen's Head

Cherry Blossom, Hairy Debbie, Christina and Miss Patience hit the stage. They enthusiastically belt out the lyrics to “Lady Marmalade.”
By Iddoshe H Hirpa

It is only the large black X on your hand and curious smell wafting over from the Science Center that make you remember you’re at the Queen’s Head Pub for the BGLTSA Drag Night. The four (lip-syncing) singers are, respectively, BGLTSA board members Marco Chan ’11, Brandon T. Perkovich ’11, Christopher L. Turner ’11, and James P. Alexander ’10.

Traditionally held in Adams LCR, the event recently moved to Cambridge Queen’s Head—a bigger venue fit for the night’s performances. Besides the “Lady Marmalade” singers, performers included BGLTSA co-chairs Michelle C. Kellaway ’10 and Emily D. Donahue ’09, who delivered a spirited performance of Mickey Avalon’s “My Dick,” and Miss Patience/Alexander, who, moving throughout the audience, rounded out the opening performances with a crowd-pleasing rendition of Mya’s “My Love Is Like…Whoa.”

Often held at the end of Gaypril, Drag Night is one of the BGLTSA’s major events, according to Turner. Although it’s not a political event, Drag Night nevertheless showcases a unique facet of queer culture, one that according to Chan, the social char of BGLTSA, “gets people thinking about gender, and that there are alternative ways about thinking about gender out there…it’s not the simple male/female that we see everyday.”

Although it’s not yet clear if Drag Night will continue to be held at the Pub, it’s something that the board hopes will help increase the visibility of BGLTSA. As Alexander says, “the more people that come, the merrier.”

And the more events that feature “Lady Marmalade” at the aggressively-carding Pub, the merrier we’ll all be.