Earth Day Focus

By Emma M. Lind, None

This past Tuesday, March 22 marked Earth Day 2008: a moment of pause in order to reflect on the growing importance of environmental issues and the escalating problems of preservation and sustainability that have become some of the most pressing modern-day realities. In our day-to-day lives as students, family members, and friends, it is all too easy to lose sight of the fact that we are also inhabitants of a fragile habitat and therefore charged with the responsibility of caring for our planet.

As members of a university community, we are in the unique position to serve as ambassadors of environmental awareness to our peers and the community at large. Although its students hail from across the country and around the world, Harvard is not an isolated entity. In this focus, we have highlight environmental issues that are salient at Harvard, and in Boston and Massachusetts.

The impact of the Massachusetts initiative for “clean coal” power plants will stretch beyond the state’s borders, since coal emissions are a global problem. Similarly, Harvard’s commitment to reduce its net emissions to zero could be one small step on the long road to climate neutrality. Collaborative efforts between Harvard and Boston demonstrate the important recognition that Harvard is an important player in the communities of Boston and Massachusetts.

We hope that this focus draws attention to environmental problems and initiatives occurring inside and outside the Yard. Climate change is a global issue, but also one that can be addressed at home.