Census Shows Increase in Homeless

Cambridge homeless population up ten percent

By Kirsten M. Slungaard, Contributing Writer

The number of homeless individuals in Cambridge has increased by almost 10 percent over the past two years, according to 2008 homeless census results released by Cambridge last week.

However, these numbers do not necessarily correlate with escalating economic problems in Cambridge, said Fred Berman, the census’ coordinator.

The 487 homeless persons counted by city census workers in January 2008 marks a 55 person increase from 2007, due mostly to a seven percent increase in homeless families living in Cambridge shelters.

Berman said that the increase in homelessness is mostly a result of the beginning of a new transitional housing program in Cambridge that accounts for the addition of 15 families to the homeless population.

“The count of homelessness is done on the basis of geographical boundaries, but it’s a function as much as anything of where there are program beds, so the more program beds there are the higher the count,” he said.

Berman also noted that the small increase in street homelessness may be a result of better census-taking techniques and the fact that this year’s census was conducted on an especially cold night, when individuals were more likely to seek out shelters.

Harvard and Central Square homeless shelters are frequently used among the Mass. homeless population due to both the concentration of such programs and the centrality of their locations.

Harvard Square Homeless Shelter director Chiara Condi ’08 said that ease of accessibility may account for the popularity of the Harvard Square shelter, which is located in the basement of University Lutheran Church.

“There are a lot of shelters further out but every time we try to refer someone to one out there they say, ‘I can’t make it out there,’” she said. “There’s a large portion of the homeless population that is working and for them to stay in a place that takes an hour and a half to get to work from is a very big drawback.”

Whether these census results accurately express a worsening economic situation in Cambridge or are an inflow of homeless persons from elsewhere in the state, the issue of homelessness remains a top priority for city officials.

“Homelessness happens in the city,” said City Councillor Sam Seidel.

“In Cambridge, it happens on Cambridge streets, which means that Cambridge resources must be directed to it. This is a Cambridge issue.”