Students Guac and Roll in Lowell

By Laura C. Mckiernan, Contributing Writer

Nine teams of undergraduates competed for the title of best guacamole chef at an event sponsored by the Harvard College Culinary Society in Lowell dining hall last night.

To the command of “On your mark, get set, guacamole!” competitors began working on their concoctions while spectators mingled and munched on free chips and guacamole provided by Chipotle.

Supplied with avocados, tomatoes, lemons, limes, and green onions, many teams chose to add in their own secret ingredients. Maren A. Shapiro ’10 tossed in spicy pepper, though her team focused on the provided ingredients. “We’re going for a classic guacamole,” she said.

Sami Majadla ’11, who was also competing, said he had never tasted “real” guacamole. “I’m from the Middle East, and I asked my dad for the recipe we use at home,” he said.

Each team was judged on taste, presentation, and creativity. After a long deliberation, five judges from the culinary society and Chipotle declared Erin E. Miles ’09 and C. Cooper Rinzler ’09 the guacamole-making champions.

While some teams preferred to chop or smash avocados, Miles, who is an inactive Crimson photographer, said that her team had used their hands.

When Rinzler was asked to disclose the secret behind his success, he said only: “Love.”

He added that winning “feels like twenty free burritos”—exactly what he and Miles will get from Chipotle for their victory, in addition to a giant banner proclaiming “Our Guac Rocks.”

Rinzler said that they plan to invite “some loyal supporters—whoever pays us the most” to share the free burritos.

The second and third place teams were also given gift certificates to Chipotle.

Sarah B. Honing ’10, the main organizer of the event, joined the culinary society board this semester. “At home, I try to do as much cooking as I can,” she explained. Yet Honing admitted that her interest is mainly in the final product: “I do more eating and menu browsing than cooking.”

Culinary Society President Avery A. Cavanah ’08 said that during the initial planning sessions for the event she was amazed by the “creative flourishes” favored by culinary society members, from rice vinegar to tequila.

“Avocados are a good background for so many flavors,” Cavanah said. “You always want it, and they always charge you for it.”

Spectators were excited by the chance to taste so many different guacamole recipes. David P. Daniels ’09 loves guacamole so much that it was once given to him as a birthday present.

“All my friends know it’s my greatest love,” he explained. “For now.”