The Time of Our Lives

This year’s Yardfest bodes well for the future of the CEB

By The Crimson Staff, None

Last year we had Third Eye Blind, but this year we might get third-time lucky. In 2007, the second annual Harvard College Yardfest suffered declining turnout, possibly due to the rain, but also because the young College Events Board (CEB) had yet to establish itself as a successful organization for the social scene at Harvard. This year’s Yardfest, however, promises to be a night to remember, largely due to its positive new leadership.

Though it has historically suffered from the reputation that its events are not always successful, the CEB this year has already improved upon the woes of previous Yardfests. Unlike last year, when the spring concert spotlighted a washed up band reminiscent of our middle school years, Yardfest 2008 invites students to spend the night—not afternoon—swaying to both Gavin DeGraw’s sensitive crooning and Wu-Tang Clan’s lyrical hip hop. The sheer caliber of artists, relative to last year’s, is evidence that the new CEB has made extra efforts to ensure a good show.

Moreover, the combined ticket of DeGraw and Wu-Tang Clan appeals to the wide swath of musical tastes found at Harvard. The two distinct acts cater to the diverse interests of the student body, interests that the CEB has made a concerted effort to understand. Be it through informal polling this year or the plans to poll yet again in October for next year, the new leadership seems intent on remaining in touch with student preferences.

The CEB should be also commended for its attempts to apply renewed energy to publicizing the event: Campus walls and notice boards will be adorned with posters, dining halls might host the thumping beats of DeGraw’s and Wu-Tang Clan’s music in order to rally musical fervor, and student groups will get inundated with announcements and e-mail reminders to bring out their constituents in droves.

Just as important as the event’s content and pub has been the timing: Instead of being held on a weekend afternoon, Yardfest 2008 will happen on a Friday night. A far more popular time slot for a concert event, it offers a chance to usher in the weekend on a notable high. Simply put, Yardfest will be hard to miss.

The CEB’s endeavours to revive the annual Yardfest and by proxy, the social scene at Harvard, are both quite commendable and realistic. The dedication and fervor with which the new CEB has taken on social programming represents a far more daring and visionary leadership than in past years. Take, for example, the new means by which they plan to publicize Yardfest, or increased efforts to demand transparency regarding the budgetary allowances of the CEB.

Given the creativity, entrepreneurship, and passionate efforts of this year’s CEB, students should be excited for Yardfest and eager to partake in future CEB events.